Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #1

Proper electrical settings for van off or van on, Tripp Lite ect.

Hello Everyone! I am a new owner of a used 2006 Ford Diesel Sportsmobile and I am a total newb to everything, so sorry in advance for the dumb questions. I have read through the manuals and have been searching through this forum so I am sorry if I have missed the thread, I assume this had been discussed many times. But what I'm finding is a bit overcomplicated for me to find the answer.

My question is simple I am wondering what the proper set up on switch panels would be when I'm driving versus when I am parked with the van off and camping. Specifical the Tripp Lite. I have the Tripp Lite panel with options for Auto/Invert and Line/Charge only. If I'm understanding this correctly I only want it in Auto/Invert if I am running appliances or devices that need 110v to operate so the microwave or a laptop? Otherwise leave it on Line/Chare? Or better yet if anyone knows what these options mean exactly and can explain it to me that would be awesome. The manual is pretty vague on this.

Also just looking for general advise on how you set up the different power options for when you are driving versus when you are camping. I haven't had any issues yet, I'm just trying to understand how it all works. I'm not finding many tutorials online so this seems to be the place to find help.

Thank you for any advise!

jak0lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:28 PM   #2

Ok, here it goes. The switches will be different if you are plugged into shore power or not.

Not Plugged into ShorePower
Auto/Invert - Means the inverter is on, even if you don't have a device plugged in to a 110-120 wall outlet you will still be using power.

Line/Charge - This will essentially be off, for the inverter. Being that your not plugged in the charger will not be active.

Plugged into ShorePower.

Auto/Invert - This will put the inverter in pass-thru mode, So the Shore power receptacle that your plugged into will be providing the power to the outlets, and any 110/120 appliances. In this mode if you loose Shore power , the inverter will kick in and provide power for the appliance in use.

Line/Charge - This will put the inverter in pass-thru mode, So the Shore power receptacle that your plugged into will be providing the power to the outlets, and any 110/120 appliances. The big difference between this and Auto, is if you loose Shore Power the inverter will not automatically take over.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #3

Thank you! Very helpful!
jak0lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #4

When the tripplite is not off (auto/invert or line/charge), it is drawing current ...so when parked or camping, if not needing its output keep it off. The 3 position switch is on the tripplite as shown in the manual. Otherwise, if parked for a period you could have some expensive early battery replacement. There is an old post about it drawing 0.2a in the line/charge setting. I did measure the line/charge drain on the mrv2012 as well.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
When the tripplite is not off (auto/invert or line/charge), it is drawing current ...so when parked or camping, if not needing its output keep it off. The 3 position switch is on the tripplite as shown in the manual. Otherwise, if parked for a period you could have some expensive early battery replacement. There is an old post about it drawing 0.2a in the line/charge setting. I did measure the line/charge drain on the mrv2012 as well.
My experience is the same. The battery will be flattened in 12 hours if the power switch is left in the ON position.
vlagat is offline   Reply With Quote