Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Rear View or Back Up Camera Wiring Questions

For what it's worth....I am also looking to upgrade my older alpine (nav no longer functions) with either a pioneer or kenwood, I was told the UI on the kenwood units are a little more complicated and noticed they have flashy graphics where the pioneer units are easier to navigate and have less flashy graphics.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

REF: thanks for info.
I went and looked at a stereo shop and they all seemed pretty fancy for me.
The salesman kept talking about how awesome all the technology that interfaces with smartphones is.
Dude seemed a little bummed when I showed him my 5 year old Nokia (not a flip-phone but close)
This all started because I am annoyed that my 2014 sprinter has navigation, but no satellite radio and no CD slot. I like CDs. I don't like little wires and the cop car dash with a bunch of random things bolted to it. I have never had an iPod, so I guess I never will get into it.
Maybe I can just use a Sony Walkman and play some cassettes via. The aux input?
I could get a discman and head right back to 1989....with the little mounting arm and all that. Ha
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #13

Just used the wiring description in this thread to locate the backup wire that goes by the emergency brake down under the driver footwell. Found out there are two black wires with a pink stripe.... The first when probed was 6v with the ignition on, and didn't change in reverse....Second one was correct (2006 E350).
I ended going with a separate 7" Amazon (Dragonpad) monitor and Esky camera. They work pretty well together although the camera would have been better placed up high as it is advertised as 170deg, but really is more like 130deg, so very close things on the side disappear. I had a similar backup system on my earlier van, and the camera was definitely wider angle and much better for that last few inches of backing. This one may require some adjusting..

The descriptions here were a definite help!
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc
I ended going with a separate 7" Amazon (Dragonpad) monitor and Esky camera. They work pretty well together although the camera would have been better placed up high as it is advertised as 170deg, but really is more like 130deg, so very close things on the side disappear. I had a similar backup system on my earlier van, and the camera was definitely wider angle and much better for that last few inches of backing. This one may require some adjusting..
I'd love seeing an image or two of the monitor in action from the driver's seat. Have heard good things about the Esky camera.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #15

I wrote up about the backup camera & monitor I just wired into my van, here if you're interested: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post170454

-- Geoff