Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #41

Re: Solar???

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Mine are already installed, but this has been sitting in my Amazon cart for a while now. Glue it down with some E6000 Adhesive and I would think you would be good for at least ten years based on my experience with that adhesive.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... L1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AU5MW0P13QZ5V

E350: what does the underside of this bulkhead connector look like?

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #42

boywonder: I don't have one, I have a straight version of what daveb posted. When you read the reviews, it seems that the one I posted has no provision for installation other than adhesive. So my guess is that it is hollow or flat bottomed which could be an issue, but alot of people have had success mounting them on trailer or vehicle rooftops from the reviews.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #43

I thought those looked interesting (a few weeks ago), so I checked them out further. They are essentially hollow, so the only faying surface (i.e. area where caulk can do something) is a rim around the outside (i.e. the wall of the connector). Between that and the fact that it is ABS (not my favorite material for taking sealant and seems as if it might have a different rate of expansion?), I nixed it for my roof. Too bad as it is a nice concept. I'd like to see it in a different material and with a flange for bedding/sealing.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #44

Thanks everyone, I have a pile of heyco strain reliefs but they will all end up being too short to penetrate the PH roof. The ABS bulkhead connector looks very promising (for roof mounted camp lights as well as solar) however, I'm concerned about how much area is on the underside to apply VHB tape or sealant/adhesive to.

Perhaps I'll have an idea for something that I can whip up on the mill/lathe......hasn't happened so far...still thinking.
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #45

I wonder if you'd be able to make something like the Newmar DX-5? Reason that particular one comes to mind is that the "frame" is aluminum and circular (I've never used a lathe though, so no idea if it's doable). Essentially it works like the Blue Sea Cable Clam, in that there is a circular "frame" that surrounds and compresses a rubber plug. You drill holes in the plug and the cables go through those - they compress and form seals around the cables as you tighten the "frame." One plus is that if you have a cable with a built in larger end (radar cables and etc. can be like this on boats) you can make a slit leading to the central hole in the rubber and slide the cable in from the side - and yet it all still seals when you install it. Maybe not so many cables like that on vans though.

Newmar DX-5:

I also still like the Blue Sea Feed Through connectors, except there is no obvious way (I know of) to protect the connection on the roof (unless it is in a box). I know there are unprotected connectors on our vans (such as the cables that attach to the starter - I just repaired one), but that still gives me the willies. Still, the concept of not running the cable through the roof at all (and instead connecting via two lugs and a stud) does have appeal.

Blue Sea Feed Throughs:
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #46

Thanks Viva! that's interesting........I'm now thinking about the the style E350 linked to....

I already have a number of Heyco strain reliefs laying around and a block of aluminum...and a mill.....I'm thinking of a two cable design, one for the solar cable and the other for outside roof camp lights.

The only reason I would consider making one is the available area on the bottom of the Instapark design to apply VHB tape (which is how I am planning on attaching it to the roof).
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
The only reason I would consider making one is the available area on the bottom of the Instapark design to apply VHB tape (which is how I am planning on attaching it to the roof).
Do you mean you are thinking of making your own version but with more flange/area for bedding and/or tape? That's where the design lost me - that thin "rim" just didn't inspire confidence for either sealing or attaching. Would be nice if they just made "long shaft" liquid tight cable glands (with wide flanges in the middle, while they were at it). I guess that's a Cable Clam....
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Do you mean you are thinking of making your own version but with more flange/area for bedding and/or tape? That's where the design lost me - that thin "rim" just didn't inspire confidence for either sealing or attaching. Would be nice if they just made "long shaft" liquid tight cable glands (with wide flanges in the middle, while they were at it). I guess that's a Cable Clam....

Yes, exactly. My present thought is a housing hogged out of aluminum that has a liquid tight strain relief sticking out one side for the solar cable and a couple of panel mounted two pin connectors on the opposite side for the roof camp LED lights........I'll post when I make the thing, maybe very soon.

I've been looking for a long shaft liquid tight cable gland as well but have not come up with anything.

This thread has been extremely helpful to get my solar project re-kick started.......my panel is in the garage waiting on a cool roof penetration for the wire. E350's post of the bulkhead connector with the side mounted strain relief has inspired me.
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #49
Site Team

BoyWonder (was Wonder Woman your mom?), are you looking for the roof penetration assembly for your PH or for penetration into the van body?

Herb
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
BoyWonder (was Wonder Woman your mom?)

Herb

I wish......

It's for the PH penetration.......
2003 Honda Element