Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #51

Re: Solar Blvd portable kits

The description says it includes a charge controller. Should be plug and play as a portable kit.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #52

I'll find out soon enough, just ordered the 160w kit

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi
I'll find out soon enough, just ordered the 160w kit

Cheers
Mr. D
Sweet! Please post up some pics of it when you get it.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #54

Sounds good, will do (and hopefully I'll have my latest project on AmbuLand completed to show off some extra pictures)!

Cheers
Mr. D
Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #55

Like the 120W portable solar panels very much.

I don't have a solar controller. And I didn't get a prewired set-up for later addition of a solar system.

I assume one of my two AGM battery boxes would have to be opened for connection to a new wiring harness that runs to a new exterior DC connector. With a little luck the DC connection would fit somewhere in my existing utility panel for exterior connections vice having to cut another hole into the van.

Will the existing ground wires my house batteries are tied to be sufficient or does the DC connector also need to be wired to the house battery ground terminal?

How much do think SMB would charge to do the wiring for all this?
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #56
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool

I don't have a solar controller. And I didn't get a prewired set-up for later addition of a solar system.

I assume one of my two AGM battery boxes would have to be opened for connection to a new wiring harness that runs to a new exterior DC connector. With a little luck the DC connection would fit somewhere in my existing utility panel for exterior connections vice having to cut another hole into the van.

Will the existing ground wires my house batteries are tied to be sufficient or does the DC connector also need to be wired to the house battery ground terminal?

If that kit come with a controller (and most portables do) then all you'll need is to tie it to the house battery system. It can be done at different spots but the closer to the house battery the better. Perhaps installed on the rear bumper as most SMB builds have the house batteries at the rear. You could even use a water tight trailer plug is necessary but keeping the connectons clean is fairly important. Grounding can be done through the frame but a direct connection to the battery is slightly better. Most builds have an interrnal grounding lug or strip that works well. If your van has a separator, any RV shop could wire it there and that would be fine. The cord connecting the panels to the van should also be as short as possible. I like the idea of a rear connector so you can move the panels side to side rather than deal with moving the van. If you put it on the side your connecting cord might need to be longer than what might be recommended. Talk with the people who make the panels and see what they suggest. I think my portable solar panel cord is about 10' long.
Sorry I can't guess what SMB charges and I forgot what the price was when they did it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool

This could easily be done by a stereo shop or local rv shop, or even someone who has a little bit of electrical knowledge. The portable kit has a controller built in so all you need to do is figure out a way to get the connection to the battery. It looks like you have a gaucho, so I'm assuming your batteries are underneath the gaucho. You just need to figure out what type of connector you want to use, tie into one of the house batteries, and mount the connector at your desired spot. There should already be a hole drilled into the floor near the house batteries so you should be able to run the wires down right there. You would then attach the other end of the connector to the solar panel leads and you're good to go.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #58

Garage

I have the 100w unit. I just wired a plug to the shunt under the van. I simply reach under and plug it in when camping. This way the gauges in the van show the voltage coming in. Quick and simple.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #59

Hey guys,

Now that Jage fixed my Tapachat I can finally post some of my pictures, thanks Jage!

Here's some pictures of my 160W panel. I used a regular sized Frisbee for size reference. It doesn't come with a bag like the smaller ones used to but I'll just make my own.

If anyone is interested now is a good time as they are on sale for $220 or so. Not much else to say as I haven't hooked it up yet so I'll let the pictures talk. ..

Cheers
Mr. D

Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #60