Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #31

Re: Solar Blvd portable kits

I had been searching for a solar set-up for my van, and had the same concerns that many have stated. I live in the desert, and try to find a shady spot to park. So I wanted a solar panel that I could move into the sun.

I purchased the Solar Blvd. 120W Foldable Solar Panel, and it arrived last Tuesday. $190 plus $14 shipping by Fedex, making it by far the cheapest option I could find. I figured for $200 it was worth trying out before dropping a lot more money on something else.

I run the fridge all day and night, and lights and heater at night when needed. My battery is shot and needs to be replaced, but that's another story. The panel was fairly light and easy to set-up, and very easy to plug in. It charged the battery completely back to full power within a couple hours of being set in the sun, and kept the battery topped off all day while the fridge ran continuously at just under 40 degrees F. I used the water pump while washing a few dishes, maybe a total of 5 minutes of running. Also the CO and propane detectors run constantly.

Overall I was very happy with the system for what it was; super cheap and did exactly what I needed it to do.

Here's a picture of the set-up as it arrived:

It's two 60W panels connected through the charge controller mounted on the back of the panels. It has a pair of alligator clips to attached to the battery, as well as an cigarette lighter plug to run small appliances such as a small radio or fan.

If anyone has any questions or wants to see any detailed pictures I can certainly take them. I can put it on a scale and weigh it, and measure the exact dimensions if anyone is interested. I'll also take pictures of the A-frame supports, the back of the panel that show the charge controller, and any others needed.

bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #32

Thanks for posting on this bphin. Glad to hear a first hand review of it with success. If you could take some measurements of it in the bag, that would be great. I'm debating between the 100w and 120w kit but want to see how big they are "packed" away in the bag.

Jin
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #33

bphin - Can you share who you purchased the panels through?
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvoudy
bphin - Can you share who you purchased the panels through?
He mentions they're from Solar Blvd, the link is in the first post.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #35

I am usually moving every day and don't need extra charging or else I'm plugged in to shore power. This looks like a great portable option for those odd times when I need that extra bit of charging to extend my stay.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #36

My Sprinter was prewired for solar with a Blue Sky controller. I have two AGM 4D batteries located under the van and they are not easily accessable. So how can I easily use one of there portable systems? One post seemed to indicate that they can just be plugged into an existing 12 Volt outlet and the batteries will charge the system that way. I have 2 connectors under the PH top that must be part of the prewire for rooftop panels. Should I connect via these cables? (see photo). Is one method better than the other? Since I have the controller and the connection is the a better option for a portable system. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
solar.jpg  
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #37

I'm not certain but if you already have a controller, all you would need to add are the panels. I'm guessing that the wiring from the controller to your batteries are already there and the wiring from the controller to the panels is what you are showing. If that's the case, you would only need to add the panels and plug it into the wires you have.

The kits described in this thread are really for an easy option to add solar if you don't already have the pre-wired setup like you. Or if you wanted a mobile solar setup.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #38

My SMB solar prewire included a two pin connecter on the back of the van. That is where you should plug in a remote panel, and it will be connected to the controller and then the batteries.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #39

Thanks for the response. I guess my question at this point would be about the connections shown in the photo. Is there a "technical" name and size reference for these connections so I can be sure to buy the correct cord to hook up the solar panel. This was a SMB factory prewire for future solar. I am hoping for an easy plug and play and not have to mess with splicing etc.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #40

The "plugs" you show in your picture look to be butt connectors. All you would have to do is strip the ends of the wires from the panel, insert them into the connectors, then crimp the connector down.