Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Solar panels linking

I have a 2003 E-250 regular body Sportsmobile with pop up. Spotsmobile installed solar 175 watt panels on roof several year ago. I want to take advantage of this power option to run cable from van roof to a travel trailer with 2 batteries. Where would I connect cables onto roof panels which I could then run to a 60watt solar folding panel I place on the ground and on into my trailer batteries? Is there some type of adaptor I would need? When I camp I find that the 175 watt panels go to waste and trailer is starved for power when dry camping....Any ideas.....Thanks, John

JohnMclafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #2

John - you say 175 watt panels as in two x 175 or ??
Are these flexible or rigid?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #3

Thanks for replying Ray.
I have 2 large panels on roof of pop up. They are rigid and are about 1 1/2" thick. Underneath them a sealed cable enters the roof into the interior to a panel which has a monitor. The monitor panel is a Blue Sky Energy 25 amp maximum power point tracking solar charge controller. On top of panel it reads Solar Boost 2000E. Everything seems to be sealed.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #4

Ray: I think that the 2 panels total 175watts.......John
Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

John,

The question I have is what are you really trying to accomplish. To really understand how to answer your questions I would really need to know that. What I think I read is that you have possibly of two panels 175 watts together or two `175 watt panels. I will say, that it doesn't really make sense that you would have 87.5 watt panels. In any event these panels are connected to a Blue Sky Energy 25 amp MPPT controller.

You also seem to travel with a travel trailer, witch I assume you connect a 60 watt folding panel to your trailer batteries.

I think what you are asking is for a way to occasionally run the two 175 watts of solar on top of the van to the trailer battery system? My assumptions are that trailer battery system and house battery system isolated from each other.

My next question would be does your trailer have a solar controller, or does the folding panel have it's own controller? It would also be nice to know what kind of connectors are on the panels (Standard MC4, possibly SAE as SMB is big on Zamp. What are the specs on the controller that is either in your trailer or attached to the portable suitcase.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

The one way may be to extend your house batteries cables (presuming they are the one being charged from the solar) towards the rear bumper. Then extend the trailer batteries toward the hitch and use quick disconnects. If the trailer has it's own charge controller it will take a back seat to the stronger voltage/amp input from the bigger van panels while they are plugged in to the trailer. You would need to put a fuse in line and protect the wiring along the tongue very carefully. All your batteries would have to be of the same size, type and condition. You would have to use large size cable to offset the voltage drop from the house bats all the way back to the trailer bats.

The best would be to upgrade your trailer system so it is a stand alone system.
Attached Thumbnails
bat cable qk disconnects.jpg  
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #7

Thanks Lilnuts2;
I'll have to look a little more into what I have between the two. The battery in the Sportsmobile with the large panels is a huge deep cycle under the floor. As far as the batteries in the trailer, they are both the size one would find in most cars. House battery is factory installed in a compartment in the rear under the bench seats. The battery I added is by the hitch and within a battery box to protect from the elements. Between the two we put a switch under the bench seat to choose bat A or B or both in our choice of the draw. Both of those batteries are the same size.
I'll look into what you suggest.........Thanks, John
Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #8

Garage
If it were me, I would keep the two entities isolated altogether. As suggested, beef up your trailer set-up with additional solar capabilities. If you're using a suitcase set-up currently on the trailer, you can add an additional panel using "Y" connectors - be mindful not to exceed the current Controller capabilities. This way if you unhook from the trailer for any reason (leaving it behind so you can go off to explore, or just parking it when not in use) it has the ability to maintain its own.
I use a 100ft extension cable with a "Y" connector at the end which accommodates two suitcase panels to supplement my roof system when parked in shade. Could apply the same principal to your trailer.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

After reading all the posts, and I really appreciate your questions and suggestions, I got a headache. I took a pill and reread the posts. Still have a headache. I think I will have to rethink this thing. Give me the simple life. Maybe I'll just get better down clothing and get as much done during the day as possible and go to bed early...Or maybe camp at KOA...Thanks for the ideas though....You guys have given me different options and ideas as unformed now as they are.....Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #10

Don't over think it, but honestly I would need some help to give you the best answer. Below is a rough drawing of what you may have (in my mind at least).
I expect that you would like to be able to use the panels on the trailer when at camp etc. I would need some confirmation or pictures of how your existing rigs are wired, and then we can come up with solutions.

The two areas that are circled are the areas of interest. Specifically the connections on roof of the SMB and what is on the back of the suitcase 60 watt package.

Any information on the vendor, etc or specification that you received with the products are pretty much needed. It would be nice to have the specifications for all the panels. The information looks like this and is usually on a sticker on the back of panel.

Max System Voltage (IEC/UL) 600V
Maximum Power Pmax 180 W (0%, +3%)
Voltage at Maximum Power Point Vmpp 19.67 V
Current at Maximum Power Point Impp 9.15 A
Open Circuit Voltage Voc
24.06 V
Short Circuit Current Isc 9.77 A
Module Efficiency (%) 18.0%
Temperature Coefficient of Voc -0.28 %/ºC
Temperature Coefficient of Isc +0.04 %/ºC
Temperature Coefficient of Pmax -0.38 %/ºC

If you can help fill in the blanks for us, we can help.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote