Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Swapping SYNC headunit for aftermarket on 2011

I'm not a big fan of the Ford SYNC head unit on my 2011 E250 and plan to upgrade it to a double-DIN aftermarket headunit. My OEM unit has navi, satellite, and rear camera. The only steering wheel controls it has are phone answer/hangup (no volume or mute, etc.).

My question is around reusing the OEM roof-top puck that I assume is for both satellite radio and navi. I don't care about the navi, but I'd love to reuse the OEM puck for a satellite antenna on the new unit. Crutchfield tells me that with the correct interface box I can tap into the stock harness to get the rear camera feed and (basic) steering wheel controls. But no-go for the roof-top satellite antenna. Has anyone here successfully managed to get that to work somehow?

Also, has anyone successfully added volume controls the steering wheel for an aftermarket unit?

I'm generally good with vehicle wiring and have installed lots of car stereos, including in Ford vans. Thanks!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:08 AM   #2

Brian, how would the volume controls on the wheel work without buttons there already? I suppose you might be speaking of reusing existing buttons but not sure how this would work. I know there are controllers for aftermarket units if you already have volume/control buttons on the steering wheel but not sure otherwise.

Years ago when I was heavily in to car stereos I had an added 'stalk' on the steering column that controlled the stereo. It was neat. I wish they still made it. I'm almost positive it was Sony and was about a 3" high stick on for your steering column that had several buttons, rotated and moved up and down just like factory blinker/wiper controls. I loved that thing and mounted it successively in a couple of cars I owned.

As for the 2011 Sync unit, I couldn't agree more. It's pretty lousy but I do like the factory rear camera.

Whoa! I was able to find it but NLA apparently.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gMbXtY...ny-RM-X4S.html
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

I have no idea how it would work, which is why I asked! ;-) I figured if anyone would know or had done a mod, it would be some of the folks here on the forum. I think it's idiotic that Ford didn't at least add a volume control. But I guess 2011 was still pretty early-on in the fancy stereo times, although the SYNC was apparently a $2500 option on my van. It does have a lot of bells and whistles for the time I guess.

My bigger ask is how to use the OEM roof puck antenna for satellite radio, as it's a much cleaner install than the aftermarket antennas and running a wire.

Anyways, that Sony stalk is pretty cool!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

Garage
Can’t help with the antenna, but If you do a Google search you’ll uncover a variety of universal wireless Bluetooth audio remote controls made for vehicles (either affix to the steering wheel or the dash) which can control your system. I had one for a while on my steering wheel that allowed volume control, playback, skip, etc. - worked as described.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Years ago when I was heavily in to car stereos I had an added 'stalk' on the steering column that controlled the stereo. It was neat. I wish they still made it. I'm almost positive it was Sony and was about a 3" high stick on for your steering column that had several buttons, rotated and moved up and down just like factory blinker/wiper controls. I loved that thing and mounted it successively in a couple of cars I owned.

Whoa! I was able to find it but NLA apparently.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gMbXtY...ny-RM-X4S.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

Anyways, that Sony stalk is pretty cool!
I have one of those stalks in nearly new condition, used it a short while before that entire system was retired quite a while ago.

Up for grabs if it would help anyone! PM me. Because it has just a three-conductor cable and TRS 1/8" 90* connector attaching to the mothership so I'm assuming this is NOT an analog device.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #6

I believe the stalk is resistive, so for each button pressed puts a different resistive level to ground via the via one of the two data lines. So you would need something that is already set up to decode that(probably voltage level) or purchase some adapter. I use to have adapter that made it work with my old carputer.

I would try to find out what the connections look like going up to the existing OEM puck, I would suspect they are just antennas , so if no other smarts are needed you would just need adapter or something. Of course it could go in typical Ford fashion and be some half & half component.

I will say that I love the Sync 3 in my Transit. Understand that after forty + years of computer room, and lab fans, I am just happy I can still hear reasonably well. Better sound would be a waste of money for me. I find the available steering wheel buttons useful, I can connect a large thumb drive with music (I don't use the apple play features), the voice control is great.

Good luck with your upgrade

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote