Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2023, 11:16 AM   #1

TPMS, Spare tire, 5-Wheel Rotation

Hello everyone,

Just rotated the wheels/tires on our van and swapped in the full size spare. The full size spare didn't have a TPMS sensor, so every once in a while the TPMS light will come on (2013 E350).

I found this thread about trying to add a 5th TPMS sensor, but it sounds like as of 2009 it wasn't deemed to be possible. Wasn't able to find any more recent threads, but I was wondering if anybody had been able to successfully implement a 5-wheel rotation w/ functioning TPMS?

Also, as far as resetting the TPMS goes, this seems to indicate no special tool is required, but this website says you need to use a special tool. Anybody have any specific insight for the 2009+ E-series vans?

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #2

I can't speak to the 5th TPMS, but I can speak to the special tool. I have a 2010 so it should be the same for you.

It's easy to put the van into "TPMS Learn Mode". The trouble comes from activating the sensors in order. I was originally told you can use a magnet to activate the sensor but I tried multiple times and had no luck. I ended up using my Autel TMPS (TS501) tool. All I had to do was read each sensor and the van beeped, saying it read it too. Supposedly you can get a small "TPMS sensor activator" tool off amazon for about $10 that will do the same. I probably would have tried that first if I didn't have the Autel TPMS tool already.

https://a.co/d/dUgZQPN
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:24 PM   #3

Garage
My experience is you need at least a cheap tool to do the reset.

I also know that the actual sensors in 2009 were different than some later years. I got some take-off later model sensors from Quadvan, and they did not work on my 2009 van.