Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 03:10 PM   #1

Will my converter work with lithium batteries?

Hi, I am looking to buy two lithium batteries (for example, SOK 12.8 V, 100 AH each) (other recommendations welcome!)

They would replace the two Lifeline deep cycle batteries currently in the van (GPL-27T) (image below)

My converter is Inteli Power 9100, Model PD9140A (Input: 105-130 VAC, 60HZ, 600 Watts. Output: 13.6 VDC, 40 AMP (includes charging and load.) (image below)

Is anyone able to tell if this converter would work well with lithium batteries?

If the converter is okay to keep, would battery replacement be a simple swap - take the old ones out and put the new ones in? Or is something more required?

If I need a different converter, would anyone have recommendations?
And would the converter replacement also be a simple exchange or would something more complex be required?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
RV Power Converter Inteli Power 9100, Model PD9140A.jpg   RV Battery - Lifeline GPL-27T.jpg  

bkalanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #2

Garage
Intellipower sells upgrade modules to convert to lithium. They also have helpful phone or email tech support.

A trickier issue is how to charge lithium from the alternator. Which I can't help with.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

do you have the charge wizard with the unit? it will charge the battery to 14.4 volts, which is acceptable for lifepo4 (max 14.6 volts).
jonyjoe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:08 PM   #4

Do you also have solar panels?
Isolator between house and starter batteries?

Batteries will be located inside the cabin so they can be kept warm/cool as needed?

What engine and alternator do you have?
Old 08-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #5

A Renogy 12v to 12v should be good to charge your lithium from the alternator. SOK makes good batteries from everything I've seen. Was on the phone with Derrick at Battleborn today, and I'm really thinking of buying the GC3. The new heated version is available now (not on their website, but is a few hundred bucks more. 270AH is more than you're looking for, but I'm dead set on running my tea kettle, microwave, and other stuff if I need it.
bisonthecruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #6

Don't have the charge wizzard, I don't think.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Yes, I have 187W solar and I believe there is an isolator. Batteries are under the seats inside the plastic boxes that are built into the floor. I don't believe the location would keep them very warm in sub-freezing temps.

Engine is V8, I believe it's a 5.4.
Alternator ... no idea. Is it easy to tell?
Old 08-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #8

And my thinking is now going in the other direction! Maybe I don't have a big need for lithium, especially considering the cost and all the other components I may have to buy.
The two Lifeline AGMs (GPL-27T) have lasted for 15 years (it seems, according to the date written on one of them). It may be that the best route for me is to replace them with the same and hope for another 15 years!
Old 08-31-2022, 05:15 PM   #9

It maybe the best approach is to stay w AGMs.

Well cared for the AGM's can last a long time. Be careful not to draw down below 60%, make sure the charging parameters on the solar controller and shore based charger are proper for the battery.

Our two 175AH AGM's are 6 yrs old and still hold 12.75 vdc resting voltage. They have been through hot / cold and have supported our chest fridge pretty much 24/7 for their entire life. But, they are connected to a 360w panel, received a 24 hr charge every few months and we almost never drew them down below 70%.

Solar panel clean and sun on it will keep the battery topped off. Plug the van in every couple of months for 24 hrs helps to condition the batteries as well.

All that said, I am in the middle of converting to Lithium (2 x SOK206AH non heated). It is not cheap, nor easy, imho. Not rocket science, but the planning/ layout as well as installation have FAR MORE parameters to consider than just replacing two AGM batteries. There is also the additional DC to DC and other supporting equipment that come into play.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:06 PM   #10

Thanks 1der, appreciate the advice. I think I will stick with AGMs. (As I just sank $1500 into new tires and shocks!)

I have a couple of more questions:

How do you know how much battery is drawn? Right now the indicator on the wall shows about 12.5 V, unplugged and with no power used. Then when the fridge works for 3-4 hours on batteries alone, the voltage drops down to 12.3 and closer to 12.2 when fridge compressor is turned on.

Also, would it hurt anything to leave it plugged into shorepower for longer than 24 hours? Could it just stay plugged in all the time while sitting at the house?