Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiggin2 View Post
Wow, thanks Jack! I'll try that next time. For now I'm using a large Tyvek sheet and magnets to cover the hood, windshield, grill, and front roof.
I love expedient solutions, especially functional and inexpensive ones.
Great idea.

Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #12

So, I'm liking my Tyvek & magnets solution. It keeps the windshield, hood, grill and bumper clean and protected from UV rays. It's a bit of a pain to put on, but could be improved. I'm wondering how much people care and if they'd be interested in such a cover, so I've created a short survey. First time trying something like this; any and all entries welcome.

https://forms.gle/fz4Ee9TrhxDJnMJp6
awiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #13

Quick and easy cover

Here are some pics of my cover, on our 2010 Ford E-350 SMB. It hasa full Aluminess roof rack with a Yakima box on top of that. I spent a whopping $5 for a car cover I found at a garage sale. Put together with some bungies and cords and clamps I came up with this "temporary" cover about 5 years ago. It takes about a dozen clamps to keep it from flapping and ballooning in high winds.

It keeps the leaves, pollen, seeds, bird crap, etc that continuously fall from the massive maple trees overhead off the roof and windshield, plus no doubt helps a lot with UV blockage. Yet I can still open all the doors with almost no extra effort when I need to access the van interior. It would be better if it were a bit longer so as to cover the hood air intake and the front hood, but a piece of Tyvek and a few stereo magnets do the trick there.

One day when the $5 cover wears out I will get around to buying some similar fabric and sewing a simple cover myself. The "whole body" covers one can buy commercially are too big and bulky for my tastes. But until then this has worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3922.jpg   IMG_3921.jpg   IMG_3916.jpg   IMG_3920.jpg  
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
One day when the $5 cover wears out I will get around to buying some similar fabric and sewing a simple cover myself. The "whole body" covers one can buy commercially are too big and bulky for my tastes. But until then this has worked well.
I like that idea a lot. After spending an hour the other day scrubbing my poptop, I’d like to sew up something similar to this. What is the fabric? It would be great to know in advance what has held up so well.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #15

Great work! How long does it take you to put on and take off? And how often do you do that? Covering the roof/pop-top would certainly be nice, but the presumed time needed to do so has kept me from even trying.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #16

Cover info

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiggin2 View Post
Great work! How long does it take you to put on and take off? And how often do you do that? Covering the roof/pop-top would certainly be nice, but the presumed time needed to do so has kept me from even trying.
My cover takes only about 10 minutes to install or remove. I have marked with a Sharpie exactly where all the clamps go so I don't have to figure it out anew every time.
*Above the rear doors I use small clamps that I bent a bit so they can stay hooked on the rain gutter but be out of the way when I open the doors with the cover still on.
*I attached a bungee w/ball to each front corner using some little black plastic grommet clamps I found somewhere years ago. I wrap the bungee around the top corners of the front Aluminess bumper.
* I have two more bungees attached to long cords in the middle of the sides, which then run under the van and attach to the other side. When I want to open the side cargo door the bungees have enough give to allow access without unhooking them. Originally this held it on fine, but in strong winds, which we get frequently here in Boise, the gusts would get underneath and the cover would billow and flap like crazy. So I added a bunch of clamps to hold the fabric tight to the mirrors, ladder step, rain rutters, roof rack, or anyplace else that helped.
* I put it on and off frequently when the *#@!#$%! trees are shedding stuff, which is about 6 months of the year it seems. It folds/wads up in a pretty small, lightweight bundle. Probably small enough to cram it all into a little overhead airline bin suitcase.
I attached a few more closeup photos to compliment the ones on my original post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3927.jpg   IMG_3928.jpg   IMG_3929.jpg   IMG_3926.jpg  
Old 10-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #17

Cover fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I like that idea a lot. After spending an hour the other day scrubbing my poptop, I’d like to sew up something similar to this. What is the fabric? It would be great to know in advance what has held up so well.
Otter, I am not sure just what the fabric is made of. Definitely breathable, lets water and fine dust through, but here in Boise's dry climate it quickly dries out underneath.

However, I have been researching fabric to make a cover for our 2nd rig, a much larger 23' 9" Pleasure-Way RV on a 2019 Sprinter van chassis. I like the looks of "Evolution Block-it" fabric made by Kimberly-Clark. It is available online or can be obtained through a local upholstery shop.

https://www.sailrite.com/Evolution-B...RoCkNwQAvD_BwE

I am open to suggestions if any forum members have a better suggestion.

It comes in 55" wide swaths, so my plan is to buy two pieces about 20" long, pay an upholstery shop to sew them together, and then I will do the rest of customizing myself. But that will be a project to put off til winter!
Old 10-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #18

Garage
Classic Accessories Over Drive PermaPRO Deluxe Tall Class B RV Cover, Fits 23'-25' RVs - Lightweight Ripstop Fabric with RV Cover (80-416-171001-RT)
Size:Class B RVs 23' - 25'L, 117"H (Model 3)
We cover our 2019 Transit HR 148” WB SMB, rear Aluminess bumber with tire mount and a Deluxe box with this cover from Classic Accessories. It is light weight, breathable and durable. It has zippers to allow entry via rear doors, slider or cab and nylon straps/clips underneath to hold it in place. I remove it by myself by pulling from the back of the van. I then fold it in thirds, roll it up from the rear and store it in the supplied bag. I deploy it by placing the rolled cover on the roof using a ladder on the slide and unrolling it toward the back of the van, over the AC unit. My wife holds the front portion of the cover while I unroll it to prevent it from blowing off or slipping off to one side or the other. Once the cover is unrolled, we unfold it together; she is in the front of the van, I’m in the back. Then it’s a matter of clipping the straps into place.
We cover the tires with RV wheel covers XL.
I live in Phoenix, so keeping the van covered when not in use is a necessity to protect the finish. I clean the van, wash it, then cover it after every adventure.
Scott
2019 Transit 350 Eco HR Quigley 4X4 “Vandemic “
Attached Thumbnails
E9ECF04B-8E9D-4C6B-B9E6-2EE30F84C481.jpg   E9FBCB47-5638-4943-A050-A79C6A3603D4.jpg  
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #19

A few of you have mentioned 'breathable' as a desirable characteristic. It seems to me this would allow dust and moisture through, which is something I'm trying to prevent. The combination of the two leaves my van looking like #@!$. Hence my tyvek "solution". Are you not concerned with that?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #20

Garage
I answered your survey. I wash and cover the van after each excursion. I’ll keep you posted on how the cover holds up. I used the same type of cover over a teardrop trailer. It lasted for > 2 years before I sold the trailer. You just need something to protect the finish if you don’t have a garage or permanent cover. Many options ...

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote