Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #1

Diesel heater behind drivers seat?

I’m thinking about changing out my propane heater to diesel unit. One option is to put the diesel heater where the propane heater is mounted. There appears to be enough room to do this. The down side is that it would be right next to the bed and like the existing heater we would probably hear it when sleeping.

Another option is to put it behind the drivers seat. There is a narrow space between the seat and the cabinet that should fit the heater. Has anyone mounted a diesel heater directly behind the drivers seat?

Also does anyone have any sources for a diesel tank that will mount to the frame rail like the propane tank does?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:56 PM   #2

Larrie - I mounted our espar D-2 under the back seat of our 50 layout but think behind the driver's seat would also be an excellent location. The D-2 roars like a jet engine when first starting up but purrs like a kitten once settled and will do that all night long. That might also work fine in the original propane furnace location. The fire up noise is short lived and most likely while you're still awake so don't think it would be an issue. Can't be much more than your propane furnace makes at any rate. Come on over and check it out.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:00 PM   #3

Sideways behind the driver's seat won't work very easily due to a body seam. Take a look under the van and you'll see what I mean. Forward or aft of the fuel hump in line mounted longways with the body works well though.

Reach out to Ray (1der) for an idea on angle mounting it behind the driver's seat. I almost did it his way. If I'm understanding your cabinet though I don't think this will work for you.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:47 AM   #4

Here is a link to my experience and installation:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ion-31327.html

I posted a video link to my install on there as well which may be helpful.

This has been my favorite upgrade and we use it all the time. Obviously in the summer it did not get any use and so when I went to fire it up one cold day I kept getting an error code...well I did NOT want to take it all apart and clean it so keep in mind that you want to run these on high sometimes to get as much unspent fuel burned out as possible, but when starting them up, sometimes they will have a hard time starting on high. I have found that for startup after summer, turn the vehicle on to avoid any voltage drops, set it to the middle setting, and once its lit run it on high for a while. We have been using it since February and its amazing.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:42 PM   #5

I used some cardboard to make a mockup of the heater and tried it in different locations; behind the drivers seat, under the fridge, in a cabinet by the rear wheel well. Settled on the one under the fridge, there is just enough room under the fridge slide.

Eric is right, there is to much structure to work the exhaust and air intake through under the floor behind the drivers seat at the B pillar.

Now that I have the heater location I need to figure out how to fill the fuel tank that I am planning to mount under the van between the body and frame rail. Has anyone figured it out?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:55 PM   #6

I have not. I've come up with lots of lousy ideas but no good ones. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote