Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Site Team

If you decide to go with more of a passive, defensive posture, this company sells a stainless steel fabric similar to steel wool that you place into places you don't want rodents to go (e.g. all the voids in your van's underbody).

No personal knowledge of the product.

GetXcluder.com: Home of Xcluder Fill Fabric

Herb

Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
It just seems like a better solution is to have some kind of mesh like a tennis court fence has surrounding the base of the vehicle. I don't have a clue if they might like chewing through it...I just don't know. I've heard of people driving on a large enough tarp and attaching it to the vehicle (like a cupcake) with bungee cord. It all seems like a PITA to do. Some dumb campers kid getting hung up on an electric fence might cause a fight between neighbors...just sayin.
I actually thought of the bathtub tarp approach too, but dismissed it due to being a PITA and having to haul a ginormous tarp around. I'm concerned with scratching the van with conventional fencing or the tarp (plastic or otherwise). The wind blows above treeline. A lot. And where I would have a problem with these little guys, I am not concerned with anyone's kids. My point with the Sporty is to avoid anyone else!!!

I saw the UDAP version too... thought it was excessively expensive for what it is. Thought I might try the farm equipment tack since they are usually more down to earth (pun intended) for equipment prices.

And no... though I understand twisted physics, I was stupid to go into the nuclear industry. Very few babes, crap locations for work, and a dying industry in general. Stupid career choice.

Thanks for the replies!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Thanks, Herb... I'm trying to keep them away from the van. I don't THINK SMB West left any holes big enough for a marmot to get into the van (hope not, anyway), but they can gnaw on important things outside underneath!!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

Yup, we have problems with marmots in the alpine of Rocky Mountain National Park. They love salt. They eat climbing shoes, backpacks, hiking poles, boots, sleeping bags, jackets... and the one's near Cretonne Needles, in my experience, are even worse! They will dig up alpine soil and gnaw on rocks where people have urinated, as do the marmots in the Tetons.

One climbed into the engine bay of our Ford F-350 6.4 at work. The vehicle drove about 1/4 mile before the marmot tried to exit thru the fan; very, very messy engine compartment. Another climbed into the engine bay of a John Deer 644 front-end loader; another ruined fan and disastrous mess.

Electric fence kits are convenient and affordable (less than $300-400 for wiring, solar charger, etc. which, while it seems like a lot, is cheap compared to engine repairs and tow trucks in remote areas). At the Bugaboos in Canada, they wrap vehicles in chicken wire to prevent porcupine gnawing. I'm eager to hear what solutions you find effective!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger View Post
And no... though I understand twisted physics, I was stupid to go into the nuclear industry. Very few babes, crap locations for work, and a dying industry in general. Stupid career choice. Thanks for the replies!
Sounds like it's time to think about teaching instead.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Sounds like it's time to think about teaching instead.
Alas, I am incurably greedy and like expensive toys (e.g. Sportsmobile)... so nuclear dork consulting it will remain for now until I break myself somehow and settle into a chair somewhere to die.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Ok just a idea on the fence charger. I had a very old one the was mechanical and worked like a set points on a car. It charge a capacitor and swing arm would run through a coil. This thing not grounded would arc to wood and you could see the arc go threw the coffee cans on the shelves below. This was a 6 volt unit and yes it hit like a truck.

Wrap the wire around the van using the tires as a insulator. For a visual think of doing the first wrap half way between the rim and the ground and the second at just above the bottom of the rim.

I'm not sure if the new electronic units have the same punch. If not you could just alternate and have the first wrap be the ground then do a hot then another ground and another hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
This was a 6 volt unit and yes it hit like a truck.
Geez... not sure I'm needing to fry and eat the little varmints!

As I said, I am electronically challenged and have to get something pre-made and easy or I'll burn my van down if I build something... and then I'll have to walk out from wherever I happen to be.

That would be irritating.

A man's got to know his limitations... I will need to stick with something off the shelf.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #19

Garage
Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #20

all them small critters mouse/rats/porcupine/squirrels/ like to chew on your electrical wires some vehicles more than others cuz of the smell of the plastic used on the wires small mesh around the vehicle or like you suggested electric fence wire around the vehicle are really your only choices... This is kind of a reminder for me as I want to do the Demister hwy to Tuk in a couple years will put this on my list of todo's for the trip....