Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #11

Great question!!

The rain scenario is where the rafter gets out in place for us. I find I do not need to lower the one corner as much when using the rafter.

FYI - there are two rafter models, both telescoping. The standard one is straight while the PRO one has a slight arch.

I very recently purchased a PRO rafter but have not had a chance to test it out.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #12

@1der I prefer avoiding the rafter and lowering more if that has got nearly the same effect.
If so I can avoid dealing with another "thing" and don't have to carry it with me.

For the PRO version I found lots of negative user comment saying this one gets bent very quickly.
And it rubs on the canvas all the time.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #13

FWIW... we always use the rafter for all the above mentioned reasons.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinli View Post
@1der I prefer avoiding the rafter and lowering more if that has got nearly the same effect.
If so I can avoid dealing with another "thing" and don't have to carry it with me.

For the PRO version I found lots of negative user comment saying this one gets bent very quickly.
And it rubs on the canvas all the time.
Thxs @martinli - I will have to check it out soon. Re: bending - that will be interesting as I had to look at it three times to make sure it was the curved one and not straight, but that was collapsed.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:23 AM   #15

Garage
A little off topic but i was just thinking about converting from the ARB awning i have to a fiammi for ease of setup the ARB is a pain on a tall van. How does the Fiammi do in wind when staked down and how is it putting away if the wind comes up

Thanks
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #16

Garage
You can certainly stake it down with larger stakes - I place a Yeti cooler between the two support poles and run an adjustable bungee from the top of each support pole to the corresponding handle on the cooler (which is always filled with beverages and ice/ice water, so it’s pretty weighted in itself). Has worked great, and I normally don’t worry at all about wind or gusts. In high wind situations, takes about a minute for one person to retire it.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #17

I bought the 'Pro' rafter on 1ders advice and think it's worth the purchase... especially in the PNW. Had to order it directly from Fiamma in Florida, but it's available.
bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #18

I upgraded from the ARB to the FIAMMA and never looked back. For several reasons, it's been one of my best investments.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:54 AM   #19

I also upgraded from ARB to Fiamma but had just installed it and not tried something.
The ARB is pretty simple constructed compared to the Fiamma. That is somehow a befefit. Easier to install + lighter weight + but nearly unable to setup alone. In heavy wind it is still OK if you tie down the ARB.
For the Fiamma I learned you better have that extra Rafter and a separate Tie Down Kit.
At the moment I wonder whether somebody uses a side canvas like the ARB windbreaker side. This is sometimes very usefull if rain and wind comes from one side. But it is not as easy to install as for the ARB since there is no pole at the side of the awning. You have to get an additional "Fiamma Rafter Spring Side" pole + brackets. Those are different from the middle Rafter.
So let me know what you think about the side canvas/windbreaker.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #20

Having both I wouldn't consider a Fiamma an upgrade from the ARB. If it was mounted to a house I might say that but mounted to an off road van it was a liability more than a bonus. It's all good just my opinion
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote