Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #31

Re: iphone guru wanted........

Is the volume up? For my iPod the volume on the iPod needs to be maxed and even then if I switch to radio I have to turn the stereo volume down first or get blasted.

or this:
Quote:
kenwood and pioneer use (on video units, not single dins) the usb for charging/control/display and a separate audio cable for sound, and a separate cable for video.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ ... ough-ipod/

Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Is the volume up? For my iPod the volume on the iPod needs to be maxed and even then if I switch to radio I have to turn the stereo volume down first or get blasted.

or this:
Quote:
kenwood and pioneer use (on video units, not single dins) the usb for charging/control/display and a separate audio cable for sound, and a separate cable for video.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ ... ough-ipod/
No - I believe (from what I read) on this Kenwood system, when the iPod is connected using the USB cable, the Kenwood head unit treats the iPod simply as a drive containing files. The Kenwood selects and plays the files from the iPod. The volume of the iPod -- or whatever file was playing on the iPod when it was connected to the Kenwood -- should have nothing to do with what you hear.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
No - I believe (from what I read) on this Kenwood system, when the iPod is connected using the USB cable, the Kenwood head unit treats the iPod simply as a drive containing files. The Kenwood selects and plays the files from the iPod. The volume of the iPod -- or whatever file was playing on the iPod when it was connected to the Kenwood -- should have nothing to do with what you hear.
That's the way the Kenwood works in our new SMB so I don't know if it's true for earlier versions. It's a major PITA (and unsafe for driving, I believe) because you spend all your time scrolling through albums or playlists or etc. with one hand on the radio knob and the other on the steering wheel. I'd much prefer a simple USB connection and use the iPhone directly.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #34

I have Slacker on my iphone. When I plug my phone into the USB connector, the music being played shows up on the Kenwood screen, but no sound?

any thoughts?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #35

I had this same problem (no sound) with a similar Alpine head unit a couple of years back and it turned out to be an input selection problem. Somewhere in the settings on that thing you probably have to wake up the sound input on the USB you are plugged in to. The other functions of the USB plug may be letting you display your device, song titles, etc. making you think you have sound, but the sound is not coming through because it has to be turned on manually, usually just once. Does this unit have a 3.5mm headphone jack on the front that you could plug your iPhone in to just to try and see if sound comes through? Then you would know for sure that it's not a problem with the phone, or even the cord, which DOES happen. Cords are bulk sold Chinese crap these days and are not nearly as reliable as they were a few years back.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #36

The Kenwood unit has a small jack in front which I also tried with no luck. With USB it shows up, just no sound, will visit a car stereo place that sells Kenwood and have checked out.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #37

iphone guru wanted........

Carl

The small jack on the front is the auxiliary in jack. Plug a cable into your iPhone headphone jack and the other end into the aux in jack. Set the source on the deck to Aux then start a song on the iPhone. You may need to turn up the volume. This is how I connect mine to the Kenwood KDC-X395.

I was just looking at my manual and saw that there is the option to select songs from either the iPhone or the deck. Mine is currently set to deck but am going to change it. The iPhone is to hard to run from the deck.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I was just looking at my manual and saw that there is the option to select songs from either the iPhone or the deck. Mine is currently set to deck but am going to change it. The iPhone is to hard to run from the deck.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
Did the same today. It wasn't clear to me, at least, that you have to use the remote to set iPod operations to the iPod. Much better now--I don't feel like I'm going to drive off the road while changing tunes.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
Site Team

Garage

P.S. Why spend $100s on a hi-res color display and the use a crude 1-line green display instead. That's sooooo 70's!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #40

iphone guru wanted........

Rionapo, I agree. Apple's layout of controls is much better than any car stereo I've ever had, and looks better too, and safer while driving IMO because you can look at it up close on it's cord (for a sec of course). Aux jack for me all the way!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote