Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2024, 10:44 PM   #1

Small Roof Rack in front of pop top?

Anyone know who makes the little rack that attaches to the rain gutters and sits in front of the pop top? I saw a photo of one a while back up at Sportsmobile West that was accessable from inside through a fully zippered window. Great use of space and I love the accessability.

I can't find the photo or thread that had it and the closest small rack I'm coming up with is 30"x50". The available room up there looks closer to 20".

Old 03-27-2024, 10:49 PM   #2

Garage
Those are made by Aluminess for Field Van - Neither Aluminess or Field Van have them listed as any sort of rack 'accessory', but I've also seen a few used on the new builds.
May have to contact Field Van to see if you can order one through them - If I recall correctly they were priced around $1,500 about 2 years ago.

EDIT: Not too long ago some here made one for his van using a small cargo rack...my memory may be off on this one, but believe it was done by member 'marret'
Old 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM   #3

Yes, contacting them directly was my second option. I tend to get faster info from here!
Old 03-27-2024, 11:15 PM   #4

Garage
Mark, use this link & then scroll through the pictures on the right side ... have a couple showcasing that small cab rack.
https://fieldvan.com/camper-vans/ford-classic-4x4/
Old 03-28-2024, 08:12 AM   #5

I've been "occasionally" looking for a roof rack too - maybe a Toyota or Subaru or some type of compact car roof rack - as I have 8 "Confer" roof brackets - stainless steel - used back in the day in Hollywood to mount roof racks onto vans for shooting films - perfect fit to Ford rain gutters, etc. My budget just won't fit for a plus $1,000 roof rack ! If you find something similar - hope you'll post it to your thread - appreciate it ! Something maybe in the 42" X 48" - ish range - around $ 350-500 ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:32 AM   #6

When I get to my computer I’ll show you the racks I found that came the closest to what I’m looking for. They were all 50” wide but went from I believe 30” deep all the way to full length. Probably something in there that will work for you.

Any idea where your clamps can be found? (Ah, re-reading I see they’re Confer!) That’s the other piece of the puzzle I need to find. There are more options, just have to find one that works on the Ford gutters.

-Mark
Old 03-30-2024, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Mark, use this link & then scroll through the pictures on the right side ... have a couple showcasing that small cab rack.
https://fieldvan.com/camper-vans/ford-classic-4x4/

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Looks great and with access from the interior it’s perfect for stowing bags when you get to the spot. -All that stuff that goes in the drivers seat and wheel well (footwell?) now.

Just don’t want to spend $1,000+ for it if I can help it…
Old 03-30-2024, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
I've been "occasionally" looking for a roof rack too - maybe a Toyota or Subaru or some type of compact car roof rack - as I have 8 "Confer" roof brackets - stainless steel - used back in the day in Hollywood to mount roof racks onto vans for shooting films - perfect fit to Ford rain gutters, etc. My budget just won't fit for a plus $1,000 roof rack ! If you find something similar - hope you'll post it to your thread - appreciate it ! Something maybe in the 42" X 48" - ish range - around $ 350-500 ?
Check out Arksen. They make one 43"x50" for $150!

ARKSEN
Old 03-31-2024, 09:46 AM   #9

I've been on this path as well, as I think it would be a slick way to mount a KC Gravity 6 light bar...
Plus the added storage would be cool.
The field van part is nice, and the price is tolerable, but I don't think it'll work on a RB van, as the pop top sits just a little farther back on the EB vans that I'm seeing it on.
Thoughts?
PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:10 PM   #10

Garage
I have all the makings for one but now have a CCV. I have the weld on gutter brackets and a cage to put them on. I was soooo close to finishing when I bought 1der's top and stopped. It's sitting in my shop. Dave come by and fab it up! Its a cool place for chairs and firewood.