Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 08:21 AM   #11

We have basically the same layout in our van. Are you comfortable with your kids traveling in the back folding seat/bed (ours folds, I assume yours does too)? We just had a daughter in December, but up until now we always removed the second captain’s chairs for “camping mode.” I purchased a bench that is designed for shoe storage next to the front door of your house and bolted that to the driver’s side rear seat base. Makes a huge difference in the amount of space inside, doubles as a seat or surface to prep food on depending on the need, and provides a little extra easily accessible storage via cloth boxes. Oh, also one more step to help climb up into the penthouse. One could do the same on the passenger side, but I haven’t gotten around to it (and now may never). Seats easily go back in for the winter for “skiing mode.”

The other thing that made the interior way more flexible for us was replacing the countertop to remove the built in cooktop. There is no countertop surface to work on otherwise. Now we use a portable double burner induction cooktop that stores out of the way, but you could easily use a Coleman stove or something else that is portable. Doesn’t help with storage when in motion but helps with the claustrophobia if it’s raining or cold.

If you have time, take a look at the way SMB set up your fuse panel and intellipower. There was tons of wasted space under the rear seat/bed. I removed all of it and put an inverter, dc/dc charger, and 280ah of lithium batteries in the same space, but some simple rearrangement and screwing the existing parts down closer together could net you another decent space to stash a stuff sack or ammo can. Take the back trim panel off for access and leave it off forever.

I have been experimenting with hanging IKEA-style shoe organizer cubbies in the closet. We each get two cubbies to stuff clothes into while inside the house. Carry the whole thing to the van when loaded and hang from the closet rod. It works great except that everything falls out off-road. Still working on a solution.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you eventually implement.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Lots of great ideas.

At some point in the future strongly consider a basement box where the spare tire goes. With a EB van you can also install a second below floor box ahead of that between the rear axle and frame cross member IF that space is free.

The rear spare area basement box can be around 50 gals of volume if properly
designed.

Attachment 49949
Thanks. Yes I definitely need the basement box! Great reminder.
Lafeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
We have basically the same layout in our van. Are you comfortable with your kids traveling in the back folding seat/bed (ours folds, I assume yours does too)? We just had a daughter in December, but up until now we always removed the second captain’s chairs for “camping mode.” I purchased a bench that is designed for shoe storage next to the front door of your house and bolted that to the driver’s side rear seat base. Makes a huge difference in the amount of space inside, doubles as a seat or surface to prep food on depending on the need, and provides a little extra easily accessible storage via cloth boxes. Oh, also one more step to help climb up into the penthouse. One could do the same on the passenger side, but I haven’t gotten around to it (and now may never). Seats easily go back in for the winter for “skiing mode.”

The other thing that made the interior way more flexible for us was replacing the countertop to remove the built in cooktop. There is no countertop surface to work on otherwise. Now we use a portable double burner induction cooktop that stores out of the way, but you could easily use a Coleman stove or something else that is portable. Doesn’t help with storage when in motion but helps with the claustrophobia if it’s raining or cold.

If you have time, take a look at the way SMB set up your fuse panel and intellipower. There was tons of wasted space under the rear seat/bed. I removed all of it and put an inverter, dc/dc charger, and 280ah of lithium batteries in the same space, but some simple rearrangement and screwing the existing parts down closer together could net you another decent space to stash a stuff sack or ammo can. Take the back trim panel off for access and leave it off forever.

I have been experimenting with hanging IKEA-style shoe organizer cubbies in the closet. We each get two cubbies to stuff clothes into while inside the house. Carry the whole thing to the van when loaded and hang from the closet rod. It works great except that everything falls out off-road. Still working on a solution.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you eventually implement.
Yeah I’m trying to keep the kids in the captains chairs for now. But without those chairs, it would feel palatial! I love the ikea shoe organizer idea! Will look into it!
The electronics do seems to have a ton of wasted space. I don’t think I have the time for this project before my trip but it is very odd how spaced out everything is under the bench! But maybe you’re right and I can just shift a few things over and get some more space easily.
Lafeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:36 AM   #14

We traveled for many years with a family of four in my 2001 GTRV. Those were some of the best family times ever, so enjoy yourself and make some great memories. Beyond what's already been said, don't overlook the benefit of reevaluating where you keep things that usually stay in the van. Just because you've always kept something in a particular spot, sometimes a reorganization can net more space or just makes more sense. Look for hidden dead spaces to stash infrequently used items or extra provisions. I've got a few spaces under the rear bench seat that I always keep a few canned goods in, for example.

Although our philosophy was always to live out of the van, consider stashing a few small games or a deck of cards that the whole family can enjoy if forced inside by weather. Shifting gear around when in camp remains crucial for utilizing the living space. The driver footwell and seat are used for temporary storage, as is the space forward (behind) of the rotated front passenger seat. I often put some items on the dash when in camp too. Enjoy your time out with the family! Do you have a route planned out?
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:12 PM   #15

We gained some additional interior storage space by opening up the door panels (see attached picture). This is a common feature found in these vans. Both side doors and the left rear (back) door can be opened like this. Made some wooden bottoms and lined the inside with felt-like material. Side benefit.. earned some huge bonus points with my wife for doing this.. and adding 2 fold-down oak tables.
Attached Thumbnails
20230916_075744.jpg   PXL_20230920_140309150.jpg  
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote