Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2023, 12:00 PM   #1

AMP Research Power Steps

I know I'm supposed to be "retired" but as I finish up this last build, there are things I have to design that might be of use to others out there...

I've been asked about power steps a million times and because of how convoluted the previous process for installing them was, I never wanted to put a lot of time into it. You had to have parts from two different (and expensive) kits and the brackets were a pain to install and a pain to make. I did it once on the Cummins van and avoided doing it again for years.

The owner of the van I'm working on now pleaded with me to install power steps but I was determined not to go through the 'old way' again. I looked over all of the options for kits out there and I found something that is much less expensive than the previous way and the install is way easier.

I'm trying to decide what to do about brackets. I don't really have time to make kits (beyond the few I've already made) and they're simple enough that I wouldn't make a lot on them anyway. Should I just post a drawing of the parts on the forum and the part number for the AMP kit used? Are y'all interested in power steps for Eseries?

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #2

I could use a set if they made them for cutaway van chassis instead of full length. I have even actually considered installing RV electric steps under my driver and passenger doors. After the 4x4 swap it raised the vehicle so much i feel like i need a parachute to jump out.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #3

I'm interested!
Old 08-21-2023, 01:22 PM   #4

Garage
I have interest - Couple questions for clarification if you don’t mind;
1. Do the power steps span the space from wheel to wheel ? Or are they short. From the pic’s it looks like they span the majority of the gap, but would like to make sure. Can you post the length of the steps?
2. Are the steps the same size for both sides?
3. The underside of the Van looks pretty clean (not much mounted underneath), would the placement of your brackets necessitate nothing mounted above them? I have a 6.0, so 2 starting batteries below the 40 barn door, and an air tank in front of that - would these present a problem?
Thanks

EDIT: my drivers side is chocked full also (Fass Fuel system with two filters, Espar Hydronic, Amsoil dual filter oil system)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I have interest - Couple questions for clarification if you don’t mind;
1. Do the power steps span the space from wheel to wheel ? Or are they short. From the pic’s it looks like they span the majority of the gap, but would like to make sure. Can you post the length of the steps?
2. Are the steps the same size for both sides?
3. The underside of the Van looks pretty clean (not much mounted underneath), would the placement of your brackets necessitate nothing mounted above them? I have a 6.0, so 2 starting batteries below the 40 barn door, and an air tank in front of that - would these present a problem?
Thanks

EDIT: my drivers side is chocked full also (Fass Fuel system with two filters, Espar Hydronic, Amsoil dual filter oil system)
1. The steps themselves are 80". There's a little room to shift front-to-back but I believe these may be the longest extrusions they offer. You might check their website for different length replacements.
2. Same both sides
3. Look closely at the pictures... the front mount is located under the step right about where the oval slot is in the step well. The rear mount is fastened to the body on a member just in front of the wheel well. The factory frame mounted battery boxes have lots of clearance. The mounts for these are not nearly as bulky (and mount farther out of the way) than the other method for doing this. The H2 Hummer mounts used on previous Eseries installs take up a lot of room and won't fit on a lot of vans because of where they need to be on the frame.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:00 PM   #6

I'd be interested in drawings...
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:15 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
1. The steps themselves are 80". There's a little room to shift front-to-back but I believe these may be the longest extrusions they offer. You might check their website for different length replacements.
2. Same both sides
3. Look closely at the pictures... the front mount is located under the step right about where the oval slot is in the step well. The rear mount is fastened to the body on a member just in front of the wheel well. The factory frame mounted battery boxes have lots of clearance. The mounts for these are not nearly as bulky (and mount farther out of the way) than the other method for doing this. The H2 Hummer mounts used on previous Eseries installs take up a lot of room and won't fit on a lot of vans because of where they need to be on the frame.
Those are the answers I was hoping for - I know it still may be a bit of a gamble for me since I have so much 'stuffed' up under there, but certainly willing to take that chance. I'd be in for a set of the brackets. When you're ready, Please PM me with Price and shipping to zip 21403.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #8

Yeah, I'd buy a set of brackets "just in case."

What I really want is your ARB bumper mounts!
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:37 PM   #9

I'm Interested, for sure. Whether you are selling drawings or parts directly, I'd buy.

I was looking at trying to adapt Lincoln Navigator L steps as it has a similar wheelbase to the Van. I would assume they require more work though. It's just much cheaper (albeit harder) to find them used.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:39 PM   #10

Amp research is a local company here in So Cal.......this may be interesting for folks who don't know much about Amp's founder Horst Leitner.

Here is a rough timeline of products that Horst has developed/invented over the years, going from now to the past...

• Amp steps
  • The cargo bed extender that rotates around and lays on the tailgate of pickups when hauling dirt bikes etc.
  • Amp mountain bikes ...original amplifier.....B2.....B4 etc
  • One of the earliest disc brakes for mountain bikes, a mechanical disk brake that worked quite well.
  • A linkage fork for a mountain bike that worked quite well for the time
  • The "Horst Link" joint on many millions of mountain bike rear suspension back in the day (and some today). The patent was licensed to specialized and then abandoned IIRC.
  • The ATK motorcycle ...a 4 stroke dirt bike with some innovative features like a jack shaft sprocket to allow running drive chains tighter when everything else competitive was 2 stroke
...and I'm sure a number of other things I can't remember right now....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote