Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2024, 06:13 PM   #31

It's on the lift and I have a replacement axle for it... lets get to work!

Look at that pinion!!!

I love having a lift. Axle was out in about 45 minutes....

What else do I love? A compact tractor with forks! I wish I could go back in time and tell 30yo me to get one of these.

Annnnnd..... Axle is in. That was quick!

Well, wait a minute. Something isn't quite right....

This van is a 98, and I sourced an '06 axle because thats what was available and affordable. As a side benefit, the 06 has nice big disc brakes, while the 98 had drums. It was a really easy swap, all the threads were the same and everything just bolted in.

Except... the 98 had 15" steel wheels, and the calipers on the 13" rotors don't quite fit. Shoot.

I'm going to check tomorrow if some wheel spacers will resolve the issue (I'm sure it will, I only need about 1/2"), otherwise I'll be browsing marketplace for some 16" rims and tires. I have about 30 rims and tires on the property, plus another 75 or so on vehicles and trailers, but not one of them is a 5x5.5 bigger than 15". Kinda weird because I used to be a jeep guy and had piles of those things.

kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:53 PM   #32

Got the rear doors swapped. Soo much brighter inside!

Old 03-01-2024, 03:56 AM   #33

Garage
Excellent. Nice shop/garage too.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Excellent. Nice shop/garage too.

Thanks! It was the second most important feature of the property when we were shopping.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:13 PM   #35

Looking good man!
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:35 PM   #36

I just got a Captains chairs like the ones you pictures I didnt get the base plate with them so I'm trying to figure out what I need to mount to my 2013....calling the place tomorrow...post pics when you install please
OregonE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:43 PM   #37

The bases I got came out of an 82 so I'm not sure how much they will help.... I can get some pics and dimensions tomorrow if they would help.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:22 AM   #38

Back to work on the auction van.

I was wrong... needed 2" spacers an a little bit of grinding for fitment.

I bought this thing sight unseen ($250) just for the doors. It only has 116k on it so maybe it's worth more than that. When I picked it up I realized it had a blown up rear end, so I replaced that. Now that it can move, I determine it's got a bad misfire. Now to work on runnability.

Scantool won't communicate, I find a blown DTC fuse. No misfire codes. I fumble about with my scantool and can't determine much.
I move on to using my laptop and Forscan, and determine I have misses on both #3 and #8.

I pull the plug and coil on #8 because it is very slightly easier to access. Plug is fuel fouled, but not original. I put a fresh plug in and moved the coil to #5.

#8 misfire vanishes, #5 looks good and #3 misfire is still there because I didn't touch it yet.

I then pulled #3 and put the now dry plug from #8 in it, then move the coil to #4.

Start it up and the thing runs great. Crap. I didn't really fix anything, but the problem is gone.

Took it for a couple mile test drive, runs as good as I could have hoped for. Good power (for a 4.6), transmission, brakes, and steering do what I need them to.

I'm thinking I may have an injector issue due to the fuel fouled #8 plug, but I'm not going to chase it any further until a misfire comes back. A cold start tomorrow might point to any remaining problems. Or maybe it sat for years and had dead batteries and old fuel making some problems show up.

The battery was at 12.0v when I brought it home, it probably had a lot of starts sitting in the auction yard. That could have fuel washed some stuff and caused part of the issues. I recharged the battery before trying to start it and it fired right up (with misfires).
Old 03-12-2024, 07:18 AM   #39

Excellent news!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:25 AM   #40

@kbeefy, while you're pulling coils grab yourself a batch of boots. They are just a couple bucks apiece. Grease them liberally with dielectric grease. This has solved all of my misfire problems on several Triton engines. I quit replacing actual coils years ago because most of the time they weren't bad upon checking them.

As for plugs, change em often with quality parts IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote