Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2024, 11:33 PM   #11

A picture is worth 1000 words I have never seen a hard-sided pop top like that - was it someone's DIY?

h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
A picture is worth 1000 words I have never seen a hard-sided pop top like that - was it someone's DIY?

No, it was made by a company here in Washington in the 70s and 80's.

Chefs Tops, or something like that. They are not in business anymore.
This particular top was actually listed for sale on this forum.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-wa-31997.html
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:21 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The cruise control for your 2004 will require a certain factory installed chassis wiring plug and the appropriate year clockwork servo that attaches to the throttle body. It wasn't until 2005 the PCM-based Vehicle Speed Control feature was available.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
The cruise control for your 2004 will require a certain factory installed chassis wiring plug and the appropriate year clockwork servo that attaches to the throttle body. It wasn't until 2005 the PCM-based Vehicle Speed Control feature was available.
Diesel, no Throttle body. All powerstrokes are drive by wire, so the cruise is pcm controlled.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:30 PM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Diesel, no Throttle body. All powerstrokes are drive by wire, so the cruise is pcm controlled.
Doh---completely my bad for missing that fuel detail---sorry for butting in with my bum hardware misinformation!

Can you use Forscan or something similar to enable VSC in your van's PCM?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Doh---completely my bad for missing that fuel detail---sorry for butting in with my bum hardware misinformation!

Can you use Forscan or something similar to enable VSC in your van's PCM?
I hope so, but I've been busy working on a few other rigs. It's near the top of my list whenever I make room in the shop.

I have Forscan and a SnapOn Verus Pro. If neither of those work it's either a trip to ford (75 miles each way) or maybe buy a license from Forscan and give it a go.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:14 AM   #17

Well, I sold my Syncro Vanagon. Guess it's time to start spending money.

I bought a S&B 35g wheelwell fresh water tank, a cassette toilet, a Kuuma water heater, a knockoff TF130 fridge because truckfridge seems to be out of stock, an Automatic Transfer switch, an undersink water filter and drinking water faucet and a few woodworking tools I've been coveting.

Shop is still filled up with projects so I can' start working yet. It's getting closer thou....
Old 02-09-2024, 12:23 PM   #18

Will the dealer just enable the cruise control if you ask them? or do you have to make something up?
kikisadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:27 PM   #19

They should be able to enable it if you ask. I'm sure they will charge an hour labor, unless you have a friend with access to an IDS system, or whatever ford is using these days.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:06 PM   #20

Well, the van wound up inside and I hooked up Forscan. I am inexperienced, and probably doing more than one thing wrong.

There were only a few coding options available. I spent half the day trying to decipher the hex codes and couldn't find anything relevant to a 2004 E350. If it was a 2011 F150 it would have been easy.

In theory, it's possible, but without knowing which line to edit its mostly impossible. I gave up, I'll be taking it to the dealer. The only thing I may have changed is the seat belt dinger.

So I dug into another issue that came up, hard start cold. #1,3,5, & #7 Glow plugs had codes. Thats all the passenger side bank. Seems like an odd coincidence. I pulled the doghouse and went looking for the glow plug controller. Fortunately I found it on the back of the drivers valve cover, way better than if it was on the front of the pass valve cover like the pickups. I started pulling the controller to swap out with a known good one off one of my trucks, when I noticed the main power wire was partially pulled out of the plug on one of the connectors. After a little more investigation I realized it couldn't make contact inside the plug, and this would certainly disable 1/2 of the glow plugs.

Access is pretty limited, as with everything on the top of a van motor. I did manage to force the wire into the connector and make contact with some very long double jointed needle nose pliers. After reassembling everything the codes for #1,3&5 were gone, but #7 remained. I figured thats good progress, 7 of 8 is way better than 4 of 8. I'll let future me deal with #7.

So, the reason the van was inside was that I was trying to trade my solid barn doors to someone with windowed barn doors. After 6 weeks of flakes that never followed thru, I finally found someone that would commit. So, I pulled the side doors and took them to town to swap. The doors I got were not quite as nice as mine, and were 6 years older so the plain white didn't quite match. Eh... maybe future me can fix that as well.

Doors are still filthy in this pic, they
're not actually as bad as they look. Since I'm planning on doing a rocker accent I'm not to worried about anything below the body line.