Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

2003-05 E350 diesel cargo a good base?

My first post after being turned on to this forum from another I joined not too long ago. I've been contemplating a rig that would be suitable for camping with my girlfriend, hunting with my buddies (3 of us total; some trips are long range), fishing trips, ski trips, etc. I'm located in New England with many of my activities occurring in the Midwest or West. Due to my budget I would start out with used 2WD van and probably add a rear locker and bigger tires for going off street.

I'm considering a van to build out as camper van/adventure rig and have been looking at E350 cargo vans. I know Sportsmobile uses the E350 as one of their base platforms however some of the research I'm finding is that vans with the 6.0L diesel have problems, especially if tuned/chipped. I've also read that they have brake issues, the engine is harder to work on DIY and the 5 sp. TorqShift transmission is too complicated and not that great compared to the 4 sp. auto. A few have suggested I look at the GM offerings.

Are these opinions of a very loud few that had issues or were the 2003-2005 vans a bad range of years? I figured this or the 2WD Van Body forum would be the best to post in. Please let me know if I should move this question over there!

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #2

Re: 2003-05 E350 diesel cargo a good base?

Nearly everyone on this site has a Ford Van, most are E350's and probably half are diesel and half are gas, so we tend to feel it is a good starting place. Sportsmobile starts with the RV package, which is upscale from the cargo van but mechanically the same. A cargo van will likely be stock, not chipped, and that is good. If you find one with 30K or more miles, it will most likely have any significant problems repaired already. If you are concerned about it, look into a Ford extended warranty, not an aftermarket warranty.

I'd say go for it! The sooner you do it, the sooner you will be having fun with it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Yes, the 6.0 can have problems if you chip it and don't take care of the preventative stuff first (breathing, EGR, and ARP head studs). The Ford vans are the most durable and capable you can get, and there's way more aftermarket stuff out there. The 5-speed auto is pretty durable. Pretty rare to hear about issues with it.

With that said, if you are looking at the 6.0 diesel, the newer the better. If you want dead solid reliable, go with the V10.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

My buddy who is a mechanic and big diesel guy claims that Ford vans are a royal pain to work on. He recently told his father-in-law to not ask him for help again on his Exxx gasser. Apparently space is tight. How many here do there own maintenance on the engine?

He also didn't have much nice to say about the 6.0L PSD but I seem to be getting a mixed bag of responses on that topic.
zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

ALL vans are a royal pain to work on. That's why god invented mechanics.
Bill