Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #31

Re: 2010 Express AWD build,The Gnarvan

Nice van, nice bumpers, nice view from the shop and great build thread so far.
What's not to like?

Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #32

Nice. I love the view from your paint shop.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #33

Finally had some time to get down the hill for wheels and tires. They fit with no rubbing. Still drives great.

Stock:

Attached Thumbnails
004 (Small).JPG   007 (Small).JPG   022 (Small).JPG  
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #34

Attached Thumbnails
010 (Small).JPG   014 (Small).JPG   018 (Small).JPG  
Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #35

Attached Thumbnails
019 (Small).JPG   021 (Small).JPG  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #36

Slowing ticking items off my list. I picked up a used tilt steering column and installed it with a new leather steering wheel with cruise control switches. This was a pretty straight forward swap. The donor column was from a 2008 and only had a 2 wire airbag, my 2010 had a 4wire, but a simple swap of the clock springs from my old column was all that was needed. The column wiring harnesses were identical part numbers so all the wires are there even in the base vans. This means you could just swap a cruise steering wheel to any van. The next step is to take it to a dealer and have the BCM reflashed to activate the Cruise control. The new steering also has the radio controls, I had already swapped the stereo and didn't buy the adapter to allow steering wheel controls ( I didn't have them at the time) so I can't confirm weather these would work or not. From my research they seem to work in most GM cars with just the steering wheel swap without any dealer reflash. Hopefully the cruise control works, I haven't found any information for this swap on a van.
New Steering Wheel:

Tilt Column:

Attached Thumbnails
026 (Small).JPG   027 (Small).JPG   028 (Small).JPG  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #37

I swapped the ignition core to keep my original key that matches all the doors. This is pretty simple just insert a small pin, I used a allen key in the top hole with the key in the start position. You will need the key to the donor column.
Allen key in ignition core:

Core removed:

Old column and deteriorating rubber steering wheel removed:
Attached Thumbnails
033 (Small).JPG   034 (Small).JPG   030 (Small).JPG  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #38

I also picked up a used rear bench seat that folds down for the bed (found on this board). It's tan and I my van has grey interior, but the price was good. It will get recovered or dyed, the headrest will definitely get recovered I am not feeling the embroidery. I also installed CLC tiles for sound deadening. The sound deadener made a huge difference.

This weekend it took its first trip out to our lake cabin. We didn't camp in the van but we did get to try out the suspension on the rough logging roads that take us to the cabin. Also used it to haul some gear down to the boat docks on the loose sand beach. The shock extensions up front are definitely causing the front shocks to bottom out so I have some Bilstein (24-186643) 5100 series shocks coming. Although it took some pretty good size bumps to notice and the ride was still good.

Attached Thumbnails
029 (Small).JPG   025 (Small).JPG   024 (Small).JPG  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #39

I am hoping to get started on the insulation this week. I am using a combination of Reflectix, ridged foam, and foil lined coarse denier nonwoven polyester fiber. I have a MaxxFan roof vent, a Webasto Airtop 2000t Gasoline Heater, a Blue Sea Systems BatteryLink 120A ACR, and a Magnum MMS1012 1000w inverter/charger all ready to install and wire. I will only be running a small 600w microwave (800w consumption) and powering/charging computers cameras on the inverter. Still working out all the details and locations for these if anyone has any suggestions. I will likely go with a single 4D house battery mounted underneath on the driver side.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #40

I just got back from a trip to the Chevy dealer. Cruise control is activated and working. For anyone else going this route, the only part you need to buy is the steering wheel with cruise control switches. When you go into the dealer let them know they need to list the part numbers for the steering wheel, clock spring, and column wiring harness on the RPO. Other than the steering wheel none of these parts need to be changed. The service tech will have to call GM and fax a copy of the RPO into GM to get a activation code to reflash the BCM. There is a $50 charge to the dealer for the activation code. A tech should be able to do everything for the one hour shop rate. I didn't ask but the steering wheel could probably be changed in this time. It only took me 10 minutes. The total cost at my dealer was $139 just for the activation code and BCM flash.