Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #1

Adding Seats to cargo van build

Van is a 2001 Chevy express 3500 extended cargo van, commercial registration as 2 passenger in california

Currently there is a home built camper conversion in the back but I need to add a seat for a third passenger. Layout is similar to EB50 except with fixed bed.

My main concern is that all passengers are covered by insurance in case of injury

Looking at maybe a single transit seat with integrated seat belt, a traditional captains chair with integrated seat belt, or a sofa/bed bench with seat belts. OK custom interiors here in so cal looks to be making nice looking sofa/beds for a good price, but don't appear to be DOT certified?

Is it as simple as installing a seat with seat belts, getting it registered as a camper van, and then getting it insured as a campervan? I am assuming that changing registration to campervan deletes the 2 passenger tag?

Any insight into this process at all would be helpful as would any info/pictures of mounts from anyone who has added seating to an express cargo

joeaeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #2

As far as insurance is concerned, they only care about what the sticker on the door says. So if you want to add seats you need someone with the ability to make a new sticker. That is in addition to making sure the seats are properly rated. The installer also has to put seats where they are safe for passengers (This isn't really an issue in a van as they come in cargo and passenger variants). For instance, you can't install seats in the bed of a Subaru Baja in the same way the Subaru Brat used to have seats.

In California you might run into issues getting the registration changed from commercial. But someone else will have to comment with personal experience there. I just read a lot about adding seats and California seems to be a little more difficult than other states. You might have luck getting it changed to an RV but there are some requirements you need to meet.
The_Vermonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:48 AM   #3

"In California you might run into issues getting the registration changed from commercial. But someone else will have to comment with personal experience there. I just read a lot about adding seats and California seems to be a little more difficult than other states. You might have luck getting it changed to an RV but there are some requirements you need to meet."

re: CA - If there is a third or bench seat in the back complete with proper seat belts and at least looking like it is properly mounted to the floor, and since it has a bed and cabinets it does not look like a hauler, then you can get it re-designated as a Passenger Vehicle or maybe even RV. I would have the bed made up or at least have sleeping bags on it and some other camping related items visible, then DMV can register it as a RV, if you want. Not sure the RV vs Passenger saves anything re registration fees. RV / Passenger is WAY less expensive than Commercial Plates.

The registration change needs to be done at a DMV office where they will do a visual inspection. I have done this a few times on new to us vehicles.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:57 PM   #4

My ex-project was a '94 Dodge and I found a '70s conversion van locally and scavenged the swivels with unbearable custom seats. Planned to use all three since the dog would be going with us. These were very cheap and the bases came with seatbelt anchors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8830.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	48360

The fronts bolted to the existing floor mounts but needed spacing upward.

Name:	IMG_8819.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	48361

The third one was temporarily attached to a plywood sheet and I played with placement. This permitted some driver sleeping space at the expense of rear room and I'd have moved #3 forward since the dog didn't need the legroom and my other seats would not fully recline.

Name:	IMG_8828.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	48362

Good luck fitting your van out.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:15 AM   #5

Not to scare you off of this idea but you really have to consider what you are putting in, and how it will be mounted. The best bet is to get a DOT approved seat with seatbelt installed in factory mounting locations with factory hardware. Aftermarket seat manufacturers claim no warranty. Its a real liability issue.

I had an old square steel Sportsmobile seat base welded to two steel bars and then welded to two factory passenger seat mounts. Then I used the original ford hardware to bolt it to the floor. I have no idea if this would be covered but at least, I feel confident that its overbuilt. I am also using the factory mounts for the seat belts.

I'm really tired of seeing van builders just bolt a seat in in and then sell it like its no problem. Go ahead, put your kid in there! Its really irresponsible. At the same time I have seen Winnebagos with a wooden bench seat for passengers. The seat belts are bolted to the floor but I imagine that they won't be very effective when the seat base splinters apart. Oddly enough that probably is covered and legal!?

Its definitely one of those gray areas. I did a ton of research and could not find anything conclusive. I have photos of how my seat is mounted and if it ever becomes a problem I can show how "safe" everything was assembled. Not sure if it will help but I don't know what else to do.

Keep us posted
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input, so here is where I am at right now.

The catch: Attached to any cargo van or cut-a-way can VIN# is listed as 2 passengers max. This has been a worry for me throughout this process. I am unaware of any way to change this. So, I went to rvtrader and started running VIN#'s (most of which come back as invalid despite being obvious GM VIN #'s)

I did find 2 that came back as valid. This van's VIN number is listed as 2 passengers max also https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...ILE-5027724223

Here is that van's VIN

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vin...WGFCA8C1160722

So I feel much better about the VIN# max. passenger issue. Apparently that doesnt matter so much?

I have a quote from CVC for a seat with integrated seat belt installed by CVC themselves. It is DOT approved. I asked them about this, and they said they have never had any customer have any problem with the seats being covered by insurance.

Once I get the seat installed I am going to rebuild the interior, and have the registration changed to van camper. I am hoping once the DMV signs off on this that that 2 passenger listed on the VIN doesnt matter?

Anyone have any comment on that? Would love to get input from an RV manufacturer on this
Old 09-09-2023, 07:26 AM   #7

joeaeti - where are you located in SoCal?
Old 09-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
joeaeti - where are you located in SoCal?
Southwest Riverside county...murrieta
Old 09-10-2023, 10:01 PM   #9

@joeaeti Sounds like a good plan. Who is CVC?
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
@joeaeti Sounds like a good plan. Who is CVC?

https://www.cvcandmore.com/