Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2024, 12:19 AM   #1

4x4? Camper? Advice for resale?

I got a 1998 E150 at an auction just because.
5.4, RB, Barn Doors. Blown up rear end. 120k miles.

It's decent enough that I want to fix it and sell it.

I'm a halfway competent (hobbyist) RV builder, and a pretty good mechanic with a fully outfitted shop (10k 2 post lift, 3 welders, Tubing bender, tire machines, A/C machine etc...)

I'm in the PNW and wondering what options I may have.

Easiest route I could replace/rebuild the rear end, clean it up and sell for $4-5000.

Hardest route I could do a 4x4 conversion and sell it for I don't know what.
I already have an F350 donor and can find more pretty easy for donor parts.

Just lingering it looks like 4x4 is pretty desirable. I have the facilities and know-how to do a 4x4 conversion. I'm not a big/known name brand. Is it worth doing the conversion for resale? Ballpark I would be into it for $10k parts and labor.

kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:02 AM   #2

Good that it has the 5.4 and not the 4.6 . Barn doors are preferred so good there, too. Passenger so has windows already, and trim level looks to be XL or XLT. Does it have Cruise and PW/PL, good interior?

Note: E150 of that year is significantly different than E250/E350, including a lighter gauge frame, 5 lug wheel, too, I think. Later years around 2008+/- the frames were the same across all three models and only differences were pretty much in the spring packs. Doing a 4x4 on an E150 of the years that had thinner frames, and lower overall load specs is a waste of talent/skills and components, imho.

My suggestion is to fix as a clean, sound, reliable, all systems working/issues addressed 2wd and sell. Someone can build out or use as they want and know they have a solid foundation to start from. That is worth a lot, at least in karmic value.

There is a definite demand and premium for 4x4 vans. Find a solid, nice 2nd E250/E350 camper van and convert that. 4x4 conversions from known upfitters are +/- $20k now. Use a known kit such as UJoint or Timberline or Colorado Camper Van plus your parts and you will have a recognized name associated with your efforts. Part of what you are getting with their kit is their reputation and name when you sell the converted van. Sure, you can make the brackets, etc. but no one knows your brand -------- yet.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
My suggestion is to fix as a clean, sound, reliable, all systems working/issues addressed 2wd and sell. Someone can build out or use as they want and know they have a solid foundation to start from. That is worth a lot, at least in karmic value.

That was my original intention until my wife and I started talking about it last night after a few drinks. I think I'll take your suggestion, along with my original intention and just fix and sell it. That should get me some quick cash for my other conversion.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:14 AM   #4

I agree with 1der. You could throw a e locker or mechanical locker in it when you fix the axle and a radius arm lift kit or make your own for eye candy to a buyer.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:58 AM   #5

Meh... in my experience those things don't add to resale value.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:44 PM   #6

Keep in mind that the E150 is the least desirable from a buildout and resale perspective. It’s only a half-ton rig.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote