Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Anyone (DIY) install a high top ?

I think I am going to do a DIY high top install on my EB350. Wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share based on their own high top installation. I have gone back and forth between the almost 6k for a penthouse from smb or a DIY high top (my wife likes this better so... )

Specifically I am wondering:

-if you reinforced the roof opening after cutting away all the structural ribs.

-did you use a flange of some sort for fastening the top, or just screws angled into the old roof

-if you have any regrets from the decision or the process.

Thanks

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #2

Re: Anyone (DIY) install a high top ?

theres a video if you search google that shows a high top being installed...

doesnt look like any reinforcements at all...and theres a lip on the topper that seals above the gutter..

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

I saw that video too. He sort of skipped over the best part, but I think you are right-no reinforcements, just sheet metal screws through the original roof remnant. Hmmm
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #4

My van had four steel 1x2 cross bars installed by the original installer maybe for roll over or stiffing of the body. I left them in because it was to much work to cut them out and it was a good place to attach the 1/4 ply for the head liner but it did cost me head room 6=0. Check SF craigslist I saw a guy who was selling several uninstalled high tops for cheap.

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #5

I did using a top I found in a salvage yard.
Top was 500.00
repairs to top 1000.00
total of 1500.00.
Cost of new top in Anchorage, AK 2800.00 (not installed)

My top does not use the rivit flange method (the ones with the black strip around the outside) but it has a 6in lip that sits flat on the roof. I had to grind the paint off in a 1.5" strip all the way around the roof and then used panel bonding adhesive (same stuff the factories use to bond quarter panels on new cars) to bond the top to the roof. It does still have 6 bolts to locate the top while the bonding agent sets but after that you would actually destroy the top trying to remove it. it is like welding two pieces of metal. I used to own a body shop so had no trouble. In reallity the cross bars in our van roofs are only to support the roof panel. If you go to a salvage yard and look at one with no headliner you will see that they are not strong in any way. All strength in our tops come in the permiter roof panels, they consist of three stamped, reinforced, and welded panels. The only rollover protection is in the front and rear and in the crossbar that is just behind the front seats. If you do not cut these you will maintain 95 percent of the strength in the top. the cross bars between the one behind the front seat and the rear doors are not even welded in and after I cut them you could grab the nubs and pull them out as they were only held in with seam sealer!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I am quite sure that I can do just as good a job on the top installation in my own shop as the shops who do it regularly. It will probably just take longer as I will be very careful. I talked to the guy in NJ who does fiberglass high top installations and he says that he is required to put in a roll bar if there is passenger seating behind that front structural rib. If it is just living space, cargo space etc he is not required to do so.

I am hoping to find a cruiser top for my van, but am having a hard time locating them directly. I wonder if SMB has sole licensing for that design.

Oh yeah, I do like the idea of the reverse flange that you mentioned above versus the sheetmetal screws through the aluminum band on the outside which must angle down through the old roof lip.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #7

Make sure you get one strong enough to put the roof rack and solar panels on

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #8

Strength- Yes.

I could not find the craigslist seller in the SF area?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #9

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantops ... antops.htm

some fiberglass tops.............

I also looked for the van tops .......bay area craigslist....no luck
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #10

Thanks. These guys at Discount were putting a price quote together for me on Monday but never called back . I will try them againlater today. They do have the camper top in a 24" with a reverse flange, but I was hoping to find a cruiser style top somewhere.