Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2023, 03:54 PM   #1

Big White E350 Overnighter Build

My passion for van camping came around 2010 when I bought a Passenger Chev Express Van with 6.0..White it was my first build it was a solid camping van. I could park anywhere and look like a hotel shuttle van. Only was told to move along once in 4 years of ownership. Years went by and I build alot of projects including truck campers, vans,roof top tents, and cargo trailers. I like cargo trailer build because I can tow bikes. In the last few years I got into boating and the dilemma of towing the boat and having a comfortable place to sleep came up. I could not tow my boat and my cargo conversion. It wasn't feasible to sleep in the truck canopy with 4 dogs and a girlfriend. While I actually had vans while owning boats I kept getting bigger boats and didn't feel my Astro vans could stop or tow to a level I felt comfortable.. My option was to get a truck camper and those were just out of my budget for usable units also not multi dog friendly. I came up on auction of Big White...and I jumped on it. While the mechanic in me told me to stay away from the 5.4T engine everything else about this van hit my check lists.

VAN 2013 E350 174,000mi Unknown Fiberglass roof New Install New Tires Passenger Van, Previous build registered as MH but stripped.

Goal Budget Tow Rig with some off road capability, Rear Locker, On Board Air, Winch Bumper

9/17/2023
*New Blower Moto Resistor
*AC Vacuum control hack (was stuck on windshield defrost)
*Oil Change w/Filter
*programmed 2 new key fobs
*New Bank1 O2 Sensors pre and post CAT

*New Air Filter

Spartan Locker on order and new Husky floor mats
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0856.jpg   IMG_0430.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg   IMG_0031.jpg  

OregonE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #2

I sold a 2011 to build something else, now I sold something else and am looking for another van!

Some pics look like central Oregon, I lived in La Pine for 6 years.
Attached Thumbnails
E250.jpg  
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:52 PM   #3

nice ive spent alot of time in that area...beautiful country...used to work in Prineville..thats a perfect example of the mild terrain im looking to do with just a locker and good tires....
Old 09-17-2023, 04:58 PM   #4

Lots of forest and loging roads, pretty easy to get around as long as it's dry.

As long as you can get around the trees....
Attached Thumbnails
0602191458_HDR.jpg  
Old 09-17-2023, 05:01 PM   #5

always bring a chain saw and I want a winch to move logs more then to get me un stuck....
Old 09-17-2023, 08:13 PM   #6

Depending upon where I'm going and what I'm driving, I carry a chainsaw or a sawzall with a pruning blade. And a Fiskars Axe and/or hatchet.
Winch is nice (especially for self recovery) but a synthetic rope winch extension, tree saver/choker, and a snatch block will do most of the log moving for alot less money.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Depending upon where I'm going and what I'm driving, I carry a chainsaw or a sawzall with a pruning blade. And a Fiskars Axe and/or hatchet.
Winch is nice (especially for self recovery) but a synthetic rope winch extension, tree saver/choker, and a snatch block will do most of the log moving for alot less money.
Agreed. I carry a small battery saw these days but it's for firewood mostly. If there's something in the trail I yank it out of the way with a winch.

I've never actually self rescued my vehicle with a winch but I've rescued many others and more than anything I've yanked down lots of trees. It's hard to beat a 10k(ish) lb. vehicle for this. Cleaner and quicker than chainsaws, and usually less dangerous.

I have lifted the front of my van up attached to a tree though. That was kind of dangerous.......
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:38 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
^^^^I'm with you on this.
Only been faced with this 3 times on all my years, and used a winch on the first. Set-up and removal is more convenient since you've alleviated the need to re-spool.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:07 PM   #9

Awesome van. I tried for a long time to get the 12 seat option but finally gave in and got the 15. That top is most likely a Fiberine top, they do great work.

Do you sleep in the cargo trailer or the van? Its good to have options.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:25 AM   #10

I wish I knew more about the vans history. It was an auction buy and all I can do is piece together the background. From what I have concluded it was originally built out by someone with enough facilities to register as a motorhome. Then someone removed the build and added the highroof. The fiberglass roof looks brand new. It has brand new tires and brand new registration so someone had big dreams for this van. While I would have stayed away from the 5.4 Triton if possible the fiberglass top would have been the price of what I paid for the whole van. I have only had the van two months and it has been on 3 trips. We sleep in the cargo trailer and the dogs sleep in the van. We have 4 full size dogs so we need to make accommodations for them. In my dream scenario I would have a elevated bed so we can sleep with the dogs in just the van for quick overnight trips. While the cargo trailer is great and aluminum so basically no weight id like to be able to solo the van. Ive been building vans and campers so long my brain is running with ideas for the build. I want to make sure I take my time and build for my needs. Some parts are on order so its all downhill now!!