Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #411

Hal The Van

I admire your dedication to Hal. Working on a live fuel tank is a real adventure. Even when empty and full of water they can be exciting when a flame is near at hand. Almost lost an eyebrow from two feet away.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #412

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Hal The Van

WVvan, I must say that I admire your dedication and willingness to chop and cut up your van the way you do. I don't think I'd have the guts to do 90% of the things you've done (even if I did have the tools and means).

But for the love of God, please be careful! We do not want you to get hurt or take any risks for the sake of a van!!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #413
Site Team

Thanks Larrie and Dave. But modify I must.

Gas Tank Pick-up Pipe installation continued:

Before moving forward I'm going to take some measurements in case someone else needs to use this info. Placed a drywall T-square tight against one of the floor ridges. I'm using the T-square to keep the ruler I'll be using perpendicular to the side of the van.

Here's the ruler pushed up against both the inside wall and the lower right edge of the formed metal "hump" piece. I'll be measuring along the left edge of the ruler. Notice there is a small recess where the hump meets the wall that the top of the ruler bridges. My measurement ignores that small recess.

Move down 27" from the wall and measure over to each edge of the hanger plate. The tape measure was moved to the left edge of the ruler after this picture was taken.

2-3/4" one side

8-1/2" the other.

Due to parallax these measurements aren't exact but I think close enough.

Before removing the fuel hanger I decide to make the cover plate for the hole I just put in the van floor. Took the piece I hand hack sawed from the floor and measured it's thickness with a slightly out-of-zero micrometer.

Looks to be around 0.040" thick which according to a chart I used is closest to 19 gauge sheet steel.

I have a steel sheet laying around the garage with similar thickness. Next need the dimensions. 10" x 10" looks about right.

To get a good fit with the cover plate I'm going to have to replicate the floor ridges. I need to find a way to get their angle. Use the same piece of cut flooring that I previously measured with the micrometer. Put it up against my sliding T-bevel tool to replicate the angle. The floor piece is edge-on in this picture.

Measuring the angle gets 47 degrees or 133 degrees depending how you look at it.

Cut out a 10"x10" square of sheet metal. Take some more measurements from the van floor then put the sheet metal in my home made bending "rig".

Start bending and measuring.

Repeat.

Done. Not a bad fit.

Prime and paint the cover plate.

continued -

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #414

Don't listen to them Dave. I'm afraid I can't let you stop now Dave.

Seriously, be careful.
I follow all of your projects and really appreciate the detail you go into. You inspire and inform with ambitious, well thought out projects. Thank you.
Bigduke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #415

Garage

Why the decision to use diesel for cabin heat but petrol for hot water heating?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #416
Site Team

I got a killer deal on the diesel heater and again separately on the petrol/gasoline/benzine water heater. Actually the brand new water heater was most probably stolen which explains the really low price but the investigating Constable wrote that I could keep it.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #417
Site Team

Thanks Bigduke6.
Quote:
Don't listen to them Dave. I'm afraid I can't let you stop now Dave.
I've figured out the how but not the where for playing Hal's voice in the van. Bunch of possibilities. I was going to rip the soundtrack from my copy of "2001" then I remembered. Why bother, everything is on the internet.
2001: A Space Odyssey Internet Resource Archive

Before I can remove the fuel hanger from the gas tank I'll have to disconnect both the fuel lines. Notice the safety clip on each fuel connection. I found the clip on the return line was loose before I started.

Since the fuel lines are under pressure I can't just pull them off. I read of two different ways to de-pressurize them. The manual recommends using the bleed-off valve on a fuel pressure test gauge but I don't have one.

Backup plan. Remove the fuse for the fuel pump then crank the starter.
Open the engine compartment fuse panel.

Remove the fuse for the fuel pump. It's this one. Position number 17 on the diagram in the owners manual.

After that I ran the starter for a few seconds. Having never done this before I wanted to double check that it actually worked. I'll check it using the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail on the side of the engine. This is where the fuel pressure test gauge would be attached, if I had one.

To access the Schrader valve remove the doghouse (aka engine cowl). Here is the view looking from inside of the van at the engine.

The valve is on the left hand side, driver's side, of the engine. It has a black plastic cap.

The Schrader valve is the same kind of valve you find on the tires. I used a regular tire gauge to release the pressure on Schrader valve. You can see the half a drop of gas on the bottom of the gauge which is all that came out. The "pull the fuse" method must have worked.

I put the cap back on the Schrader valve and buttoned up the doghouse. One other housekeeping matter. Use a wire brush to clean off the top of the fuel hanger and the area around it.

Then used compressed air to blow off the top of the hanger and top of the tank.

Next unplug the electrical wires to the hanger. To reach the plug get under the van where the fuel fill lines are. The wire disconnect is located just on top of the frame below the fill lines.

To access the plug I had to pull it up off the frame rail. There is a small clip on the connector that must be pushed down to separate the two parts of the plug.

To disconnect the fuel lines from the hanger I need a special tool. Amazingly enough it's called a "Fuel Line Disconnect Tool". Bought this one at Advance Auto for $7.39.

From the back of the package. It's made for 3/8" and 5/16" fuel lines which match the ones connected to the fuel hanger.

Pop off the safety clips first. The tool works by sliding in between the hanger tube and the fuel hose connector. It releases the clip inside the connector. Anyway that's how it's supposed to work.

Problem is I couldn't get the return line to release. Not having done this before I wasn't sure how much I could force things without something breaking. So while I was working the problem Supervisor Bob shows up.

After studying the problem she said to just push it a little farther and showed how.

She was right of course, as always. Pushed it in a little farther and pulled a little harder on the connector and it popped off. The supply line connector came off easier.
Here's everything unhooked.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #418
Site Team

This is the fuel pick-up pipe I'll be install on the fuel hanger. It will have to be trimmed to fit.

Time for the main event. I've cleared my work area and locked away all supervisory personal. The tools I'll need are close at hand. I have most of the van doors open and a fan blowing into the garage from the outside to prevent any gas fume buildup. I'll admit to being more than just a little bit nervous at this point. Because of obvious concerns I didn't take as many pictures as usual.

I've removed the six bolts with a 5/16" socket. In the bottom of the picture you can see a old bed sheet I'll use to carry the fuel hanger from the van to the work bench. Since the tank is half full I expect there to be a good bit of gas run-off.

The hanger unit came off the tank surprisingly easy. I thought there might be some sticking around the gasket but that wasn't the case. It was easy to lift out of the tank with just a little maneuvering. I placed the hanger unit on the sheet then placed a board I had prepared across the hole in the van floor, just in case.

Did you ever see one of those movies that deal with a nuclear bomb and someone is either putting in or removing the part that sets the bomb off? The "trigger mechanism". The hanger unit is just about the same size as one of those movie "trigger mechanism" and I initially handled it like it was one. Fragile, radioactive and could blow up if I sneezed.

Here is the hanger after I moved it to the work bench. I felt a little safer taking pictures there since I had a fan blowing directly on me.

The float for the sending unit is partially obscured in the previous photo. Here's a better look at it.

If I'd known more about the fuel pump I'd have bought a new fuel pump strainer and swapped them out at his point. Once I had the hanger out I wasn't about to stop for a trip to the auto parts store. The thought of the open gas tank a few feet away made me really want to move this job along. In retrospect if I was to do this again I'd fab up a metal plate that could be bolted over the opening along with a new $8 fuel pump tank seal. This would close the tank while I had the hanger out. Live and learn.

I need to find a location on the hanger where I can drill a hole for the pick-up pipe that won't conflict with anything else. I didn't want to drill through where the hanger was spot welded together for fear of weakening it. This limited my options.

I decided this would be the best spot.

Before drilling the hole I wrapped everything in a plastic bag to prevent stray metal shavings from causing any trouble later on.

Here's the pick-up pipe installed in it's newly drilled hole. In my haste I didn't drill a pilot hole first which caused the larger hole to not be exactly where I wanted it. In the picture you can see that I had to notch both the rubber gasket and metal washer to clear the supply line. It doesn't hurt anything but I should have done better.

I've trimmed the bottom of the pick-up pipe so that it's at least an inch above the fuel pump inlet.

That's it. Install the hanger back into the fuel tank. Went back in without a hitch. The fuel pump tank seal looked to be in excellent shape so I didn't bother to replace it. There was a audible "click" when the fuel hose connections locked into place. I fixed the safety clip on the return line before I re-installed it. Connect back up the wiring plug. Put the engine compartment fuel pump fuse back.

I primed and spray painted the edges of the hole. It's not the same shade of white, but who's to know?

Added four foot of 5/16" ID rubber fuel hose. Clamp one end to the pick-up pipe.

Ran the fuel line to across to the other side of the van.

Just like with the fuel line for the Webasto heater I made a simple support from some metal stock that keeps the hose off the exhaust shield.

Cut off the top from a 16d penny nail and clamped that into the other end of the hose to close it off.

I'm not sure of the final location of the water heater so I'll "park" the fuel hose on the metal support for now.

Time to check my work. I cranked over the van and it started right up. No "check engine" light. As the van was running I went back to the open hole in the floor and stuck my nose as close as I get it to the hanger and started sniffing. No gas smells. Took the van for a test drive. Everything OK.

I positioned the cover plate over the opening and using a small bit drilled holes around the edge of the plate. Removed the plate and laid down a generous bead of Silicone II caulk around the edge of the opening. NOTE: Silicone II is safe to use on metals. Regular Silicone I isn't since it contains acid and will cause rusting.

Used 1/2" long, #8 sheet metal screws to secure the cover plate in position.

OK that's the end of the scariest of the projects I've done so far.

I do have a sidebar comment on the engine compartment fuse panel. Never had to access any of the fuses before so can't say I'd ever paid much attention to it. When I first went to open it noticed the lid wasn't on all that tight. Same thing when I went to close it up after finishing with this project. Kept messing with it until I figured it out. Someone else might find this info useful.

On the right side of the fuse box lid are these two tabs.

On the right side of the fuse box base is this small bar with a gap between it and the base.

When closing up the fuse box the two tabs must slide into the gap between the base and the bar which then acts like a hinge. This wasn't obvious and the only way I found to fit them in there was to use both hands. One to move the lid around and the other down where the tabs slide into the the gap. Move the tabs into position by feel alone.

Once in position just swing the lid shut. These other two tabs are what keep the lid down.

That's it. Time to go play.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #419
Site Team

Impressive work, and impressive documentation as always.

I almost hate to ask, but what will you do when you're actually done? I know you'll enjoy the van, but will you go into tinkering withdrawal and need a new project?

Herb
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #420
Site Team

Thanks Herb,

The van isn't my only tinkering outlet. Last weekend I converted my bench grinder from those little bulbs that never last to high power LEDs. Now it's insanely bright.

I've got a bunch more non-van projects in the queue but there is one I probably won't tackle till the van is much father along and that is a rail-bike. A bicycle converted to run on railroad tracks. I wouldn't use it on a active track but there is a large section of abandoned track near Cass Scenic Railroad that can't be used by regular rail traffic due to washouts. It goes up all the way up a mountain and I'd love to give it a try.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG