Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Insulation questions

DJM the EnGuard material---doing a Google search I find it's to be discontinued or no longer available as batts to consumers----any knowledge of that? Sounds like some interesting stuff.

Spoolin I like that look---makes the Jeep look like a tactical weapon! No doubt the Rhino lining works well as a sound deadening material---anything that stops the sheet metal from vibrating does an amazing job of lowering inside sound levels from road noise etc.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
DJM the EnGuard material---doing a Google search I find it's to be discontinued or no longer available as batts to consumers----any knowledge of that? Sounds like some interesting stuff.

Spoolin I like that look---makes the Jeep look like a tactical weapon! No doubt the Rhino lining works well as a sound deadening material---anything that stops the sheet metal from vibrating does an amazing job of lowering inside sound levels from road noise etc.

Yeah, VanSpecialties had a hard time getting a small amount of Engaurd for our build -- they wanted to sell them a full shipping container! They were able to get a few rolls locally, I believe, but I am not sure if that is repeatable. If you want, try calling VS and talk to Rob and see if he knows a source -- he is a cool guy and might be able to help.

Cheers,
DJM
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #13

I am in the same boat. I have a fiberglass top and ended up going with 1/2" foam with a foil on one side and some sort of plastic cover on the other. bought it from Home Depot and was cheap. not sure if I will add another layer before I cover it with some sort of carpet or paneling for looks. I am not done as winter is upon me and to cold for gluing it in is now on hold.

but when it comes to the van body I am thinking about this stuff. I have read that if you do foil backed bubble wrap or likes there of you have to secure it well so it dont rub on the metal and cause static or something like that over time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-4 ... lsekVPOSnQ

but not sure how well it will be on insulation in cold climats. yes it has the radiant barrier but i plan on ski trips so I want good insulation. it does help with sound deadoning and easy to install.

here is some reading on insulation that might help.

http://www.camperize.com/insulation.html

best of luck
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote