Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #11

I got the EGT in. Getting the harness through the firewall was definitely the hardest part.

Drilled the rear of the D-Side exhaust manifold. Started with a 1/8" pilot then a 21/64". I used a magnet to try and get shavings out but it didn't really pick up any.

Tapped with a 1/8" NPT. I only ran the tap in about halfway so the fitting would sit just shy of flush on the inside

The wiring is tried up next to the brake fluid

I couldn't figure out how to make the existing grommet work so I ended up just drilling out a hole. The previous owner already had a small hole for some alarm wires so I just opened it up to 5/8" to get the connector through. I'll plug the hole with a grommet when they come in the mail

The wiring is a little messy but I have to reroute it all when I put the grommet in
Attached Thumbnails
egt1.jpg   egt2.jpg   egt3.jpg   egt4.jpg   egt5.jpg  

egt6.jpg  

kikisadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #12

I fabricated a bracket for the backup camera since it was meant to mount the other way around and you can't flip it in the software. I sealed the hole with a grommet and sikaflex. I need to tend to the rust where the roof meets the rain gutter.

I decided to get new speakers to go along with the stereo. The old ones were blown. Don't forget the wiring harness. I sound deadened the doors since I was in there (most of it is hidden on he inside of the door). It's always a snowball effect when you start on something...

Got the hitch installed

Lastly, finished the work to front D-side. I managed to damage the ABS sensor when I tried to replace the ball joints without an impact gun. The abs pump would kick on every time I came to a stop. In order to replace it, you have to pull the disc assembly off. what a pain. I was waiting to do the last shock until I did this other work as well. This one shock took as long as the other three. I just cut the old shock out but getting it the new one back in was a nightmare. I was able to thread the nut most of the way by spinning the shock body but that was starting to damage the grommet once it got tight. then i was one click of the ratchet at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
Old 06-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #13

Wow! In comparison to myself you seem to have the plans before the van. for me it was the other way around :-D

not sure how heavy your van will get and how soft it should ride in the end, but:
I had the general springs 43-1085 (9 leafs, 3460 lbs capacity) installed on my 2006 E-350. This lifted the whole rear up a bit and a 33" could perhaps work. It was fairly stiff for our more or less empty van.
I just took out 2 leafs each side last week to get a smoother ride until I have my new rear springs from Weldtec.

Depending on your plans and location (and capacity rating for a diesel) you can buy them in 2-4 (?!?) weeks here in the Bay Area. If interested, shoot me a PM.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #14

I'm planning to do airbags since I'll be towing frequently but I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing more spring. Thanks
Old 06-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #15

Just for clarification: once I have the new leaf spring set in the rear, the current 43-1085 is available. not only the single leafs.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #16

What airbag setup are you planning on running?
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #17

I believe Air Lift is the only option since Firestone stopped making them
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88138/

This thread has a lot of info
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...s-9902-11.html
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #18

This is what i used on mine.

https://reycogranning.com/suspensions/model-rd800f/

https://www.stengelbros.net/RD800F-R...50_p_1587.html
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg  
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #19

There might be a factory hole in the driver’s side floor just above the top of the shock mount to access that nut. Maybe some vans have it and others don’t. Mine does and it makes things much easier
Old 06-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
That's fancy. Why did you go that route out of curiosity?