Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

Re: Longer Seat Travel?

Thanks Scotty. I don't know but wouldn't think the "doghouse" would be interchangeable but I've been wrong at least 50 or so times before. Did you buy that one to cannibalize for your initial van? Pops.

Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

If you lift the leading edge of the seat, it has a corresponding effect on the perceived legroom. Lift the edge by modifying the mount, not the actual seat.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
Thanks Scotty. I don't know but wouldn't think the "doghouse" would be interchangeable but I've been wrong at least 50 or so times before. Did you buy that one to cannibalize for your initial van? Pops.
I've looked at the doghouses. They are too different to swap as far as I can tell.

No, I'm selling the blue van, just haven't put together an ad yet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #14

Not much help here, but FWIW - reclining the seat back a notch or two gives me the illusion of an extra inch of leg room.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #15

Thank you everyone.

Reclining the seat we've tried and did help some but not enough. As far as lifting the front goes it would probably put too much pressure on my wife's hips/back. As it is now 30 minutes of driving now and the pain starts. Some days better than others. Her main complaint now is not being able to extend her left leg. We'll keep working on it. Really appreciate everyone'shelp. Thanks again, Pops.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #16

What about mounting the seat slider farther back from its current location on the seat base? I took a brief look at my 2006 E350 passenger seat this morning and it looks possible.

I think there's 4 bolts (2 for each slider) that bolts into the seat base. Perhaps drill new holes in the slider then re-mount onto the seat base.

If possible the benefit is the additional legroom you seek. The downside aside from the earlier airbag/seatbelt stuff is you won't be able to scoot the seat as far forward as before.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #17

The passenger leg and foot room has been an issue with us as well. There is no way to get your feet in a comfortable position. Will be interested it hearing if you find a solution.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #18

Thanks Ray. I'll have to take a look at that. Larrie if I find a solution I'll definitely post it. In the meantime here is a link I got from another forum that might work. I emailed them for information and should hear from them soon. Thanks, Pops.

https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/3234 ... ravel.html
Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

For those of you looking in here's a photo with dimensions of the right seat base:

There is a bit of room to relocate the seat itself.

The body floor itself---disregard the plywood edge towards the rear---that's in my cargo-only van:

As for the doghouse swap--if that's doable it might not address the width of the foot well space. I believe from '92 onward the bodies and floors would be almost identical---I could be wrong there though but if so that might not be a cure.

I swear if your feet can touch the floor you're just not going to be comfortable in that right seat!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #20

Thanks for the pix JWA. Really nice to see what I'll be looking at before I start. Regarding the doghouse I agree -little if any gain by swapping doghouses. I know there are always production cost and engineering concerns but it slays me that in a vehicle that has two basic configurations cargo and people, the very first passenger gets literally shorted. "carry up to 15 passengers-just don't sit up front." Argh! Thanks again, Pops.