Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

We tried the Tempurpedic topper too, because the SMB bed leaves something to be desired. Had the same problem - hard as a rock when cold. We are going to try a wool topper on top of the foam. Haven’t tried it yet, so can’t report, but have heard great things about them.
https://www.cuddleewe.com/product/wool-mattress-topper/

Roamoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #12

I've been busy doing a quick camper build with the van and its almost time for foam.
For now, I'll be using a couch/bed set up with plywood as the base.
Regarding the moisture, it seems that that happens when the human perspiration gets into the mattress, along with temp differences under the platform vs on top. I'll be finding out soon enough.
Some peeps put a layer of reflectix or equal on top of the mattress to help prevent the body moisture from penetrating.
I am entertaining the idea of expand metal on the 2x2 wood frame vs the plywood.
Drifting off topic a bit, sorry.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeezersDad View Post
We need some help.

We are working on a home build in an E-350. I have built a bed/couch/storage/kitchen area in the rearmost of the body. The bed platform is big enough for a queen mattress, and it tri-folds into a couch. We bought a 3" Tempurpedic topper and it was great. It bent with the platform when we went to couch mode and was plenty comfortable to sleep on. Then it got cold.

We don't mind sleeping cold, but the mattress essentially froze solid. Not only did it get hard, but it seemed to loose any insulative properties it might have had. It made for a long night but luckily we were only out for one night at that time.

In our old set-up (a Chevy Avalanche) I had made a mattress (only 48" wide) from some Joann Fabrics 3" foam and a 1" topper. I could do that again, but it will be fairly expensive since the Joann Fabrics foam solution will require 3 pieces of foam plus the topper - probably about a $400 worth in total.

Anyone come up with alternatives that provide flexibility, comfort, AND low cost? I know that's a lot to ask for, but the world is full of creative solutions.

Thanks!

I just got this for my brand new van. You can also get it in the 6 inch version. But the 4 inch version that I got is excellent. And at only $100 it’s a steal. And it has thousands of 5 star reviews. Two nights ago I slept in 38° weather in Northern California. I did not have a heater on in the van, just under lots of blankets. The mattress was perfectly fine. I was very toasty as a matter of fact.

Zinus Memory Foam 4 Inch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TW8Y23...p_mob_ap_share
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

I have 3 inch foam on my bed

Which bottoms out on my old bones

I bought this at Walmart a couple days ago $20

Full length
About the width of a sleeping bag

Appears to be closed cell foam

Made for an awesome night sleep for 20 bucks

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	25700
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Foldable millard mattress

Hi,
I am also looking at these for my gaucho remake. Would like to hear what you think of them, if you do get them.
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #16

Garage
Hi All,

Does anyone have recommendations for a topper mattress? The folding bench of my GtrV is so hard (20 years). I am not looking for changing the full bed but just add a top that gain some confort. But also something that I can remove easyly everyday.

Thanks all
Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #17

bfolens
I actually am planning on a rebuild of my gaucho. I found something that folds into 3 parts by Millard on
Amazon. Depending on size it runs from $100 to $150 ( a few months ago). Depth runs from 4” to 6”.
But I haven’t bought it yet, since the van has been stored over the winter. Good Luck!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote