Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
evy

Re: refrigerator wall vent vs vehicle gas inlet fumes

This one has a battery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-5-Solar-V ... da&vxp=mtr

I wonder if there's a way to wire them so that they only work when the refrigerator comes on?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
This one has a battery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-5-Solar-V ... da&vxp=mtr

I wonder if there's a way to wire them so that they only work when the refrigerator comes on?
I recommend downloading the installation instructions (and reading them) before even deciding on a fridge. Its then up to you to decide to follow the code, or not. If you choose propane, then you will be required to have an upper and lower vent with a fan that runs when the fridge is on. I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...ridge+Vent+Fan It is very quiet and efficient. My Dometic RM2354 has pin J2 on the circuit board that goes live when the unit it turned on, and off when not.

As far as having to turn the whole fridge off to refuel is not specified. Lp fridges don't have a compressor that would click on and possibly spark, so I've left mine on DC before while fueling. Common sense dictates that you would turn the propane off while driving. The pilot light would likely not stay lit due to air turbulence anyway.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #13
evy

I red a lot of articles lately on the net about 3way refrigerator venting, tomorrow I will update my drawing, hope to get some feedback.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
evy

Here's my updated drawing

Using three 80mm PC fans (120cfm/0.54amps total), plugged to the fridge (I don't know how yet but I know there's a circuit especially for that) every time the fridge turns on the fans are activated.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
evy

So here's a quick update.

I have to add some baffles here and there, sheat metal around the lower opening,

The main concern is having my lower inlet 10" away from the fuel filler, the law says that it should be at 36"
So here's my two options :
Option no.1 : seal the lower vent so no air goes through and use it as an access door only, and only use only the bottom openings for the air inlet.
Option no.2 : add some sort of 12v time delay switch, set it to 15minutes, add a magnetic sensor (home alarm system type) to the fuel filler, so when you open the door to pour fuel in the fridge is automatically turned off, and it turns back on by itself 15minutes later or so. this way I could keep the lower inlet open for air movement as well as the bottom ones.
Now I don't know much about magnetic sensor and time delay switchs yet, maybe some one out there can help me out.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #16

Garage
You may be overthinking this. Just shut off the main propane valve before fueling. In fact, shut it off when travelling, which is what we do, just because I'm OCD.

I would rather rely on a manual valve for safety, than a DIY "safety relay".
Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
You may be overthinking this. Just shut off the main propane valve before fueling. In fact, shut it off when travelling, which is what we do, just because I'm OCD.

I would rather rely on a manual valve for safety, than a DIY "safety relay".
Actually I'm not talking about propane, I'm talking about not having my lower vent 36" away from the van's fuel filler, while fueling the van, if the fridge starts up using the 12v battery it might ignite the gasoline fumes right next to it.

But I don't understand your post, weren't you the one who had the fuel filler relocated for that reason? You mentioned it earlier in this thread.

I just thought that if I use the fuel filler's door as a manual switch that would prevent the fridge from starting up when fueling the van, and when I close it it would have a certain delay before letting the 12v power through to the fridge.