Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfvan View Post
Mothgils- Do you have any plans on this or a specific plan you are going to follow? The video I posted seems like overkill and I like the simplicity of the 80/20 aluminum or Ray's setup (thanks for all the details in your reply Ray) and I'm curious to see what you got cookin up with the L-track.
I donít have any plans yet. I need to strip out the interior panels to see what Iím working with. I am building a EB into our family camper/adventure rig and would still like to have some of the items removable to haul things if needed. I plan to utilize l-track along the floor and on the walls too.

I was referring to a company called Adventure Wagon. They have a removable bed system called the MOAB that attaches using l-track. They do not have anything for our Ford E vans but the idea could be transferable . I hope to start working on something soon.

80/20 is a good option but unless you find a great deal, it is not cheap.
__________________

mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Granite Bay CA
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
I donít have any plans yet. I need to strip out the interior panels to see what Iím working with. I am building a EB into our family camper/adventure rig and would still like to have some of the items removable to haul things if needed. I plan to utilize l-track along the floor and on the walls too.

I was referring to a company called Adventure Wagon. They have a removable bed system called the MOAB that attaches using l-track. They do not have anything for our Ford E vans but the idea could be transferable . I hope to start working on something soon.

80/20 is a good option but unless you find a great deal, it is not cheap.

Mothgills- this looks pretty cool! Pretty easy install and good storage ideas when not in use. Have you seen this one? Sprinter Van DIY 3 Panel Platform Bed on L Track
__________________

Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
I haven't seen that build yet, thanks!

I actually was thinking of using those supports. I saw them 2 weeks ago when my wife and I were at IKEA. I stopped and looked at them and said, these might work in the van!
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Granite Bay CA
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
I haven't seen that build yet, thanks!

I actually was thinking of using those supports. I saw them 2 weeks ago when my wife and I were at IKEA. I stopped and looked at them and said, these might work in the van!
Thatís awesome! I ordered 6 of the ikea supports and bought the L-track. Iíll need to find someone to weld those small brackets for me. Iíll keep you posted on how it works out. What part of the country are you in?
Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfvan View Post
Thatís awesome! I ordered 6 of the ikea supports and bought the L-track. Iíll need to find someone to weld those small brackets for me. Iíll keep you posted on how it works out. What part of the country are you in?
I'm in Indiana. If I were farther along in my build, I could make a set and send them your way but I am not sure when I will be diving into it.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ConnieKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cotopaxi, Colorado
Posts: 292
Lighter bed

Hi,
I was thrilled to see this post! I need to come up with some way to convert a gaucho type ( side) bed to
one a few inches longer, and a couple wider. I must have memory foam ( bad back), and need to be able to lift up the bed to get to water tank and batteries.
At 68 and female....current set up just doesnít work for me! I found a 6Ē deep trifold matress on Amazon
for less than $100 thatís the right siz, but a lighter weight base has defeated me up to this point!
Any ideas, designs, inspirations from anyone and everyone would be greatly appreciated! I have a Chevy 350 EB with a bath that takes up the rear, so it has to be where it currently is....behind driverís seat.
I donít need a couch per se, the bed would be much better! I was thinking of the fiberboard with holes as a base for mattress. Any reasons I shouldnít? The aluminum sounds great to put it on!!!

Thanks everyone,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:25 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1
Hey, jjuan,

I want to build something similar to what you did with the 80/20...

Do you recall what the series / thickness of the bars you used was?
vwfr34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
I'm in Indiana. If I were farther along in my build, I could make a set and send them your way but I am not sure when I will be diving into it.
Did you ever finish your bed? Curious how it turned out.

@1der I like your design. Did you go with marine ply for the frame?

This thread could be really helpful for me.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
@1der I like your design. Did you go with marine ply for the frame?
This thread could be really helpful for me.
The best ply to use is the Baltic Birch multi-ply. In this case I used a high quality 3/4" marine multi-ply due to the 48" span over the legs and dowels/holes in the edges where the platform pieces were mating when assembled.

I used 1" x 1" x 1/8" steel angle for the edges. If I were to do it again I would use an Aluminum C Channel.
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
ConnieKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cotopaxi, Colorado
Posts: 292
Do you have a photo of the aluminum “C” channels....and where could I find that? I was thinking of the L channels, but the C would likely hold everything in place a lot better. If you
have pictures, I’d love to see exactly what you have done with the bed?
ConnieKat
__________________

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×