Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #31

Re: Short time lurker with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildadog
Do you like the quality of the Rollover Couch Sleeper Fold Out Sport Bed you bought. I was considering purchasing one but it's hard to spend that much money and not try it out. Is it comfortable?

Kyle

Kyle,

I work 100 miles from home and 12 hour shifts. I got the bed installed temporarily just before my last rotation and slept on it the last two nights. The foam is on the stiff side but I slept just fine. I do have a memory foam topper I'm going to try. The bed seat is a little high for me to sit comfortably without hitting my head on the ceiling so I will cut down the legs by about 2".
By the way the first night got down to 32 degrees and I was toasty inside the van. The second night was 2 degrees below zero and I did have to start the van for about 20 minutes to help out the little portable electric heater I had. Easy to tell where I need to improve the insulation.

Rick

02Chevytonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #32
Site Team

Hey Rick,
I concur on that sofa bed. Very sweet. The ability to fold it flat against the wall is especially nice.
But I'll tell you what else looks nice. That workshop you can see in the photos. To be able to work inside in this weather (sigh). Color me green with envy.
Dave

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #33

I, too, concur - that is a pretty badass bed. Not quite right for me because I don't want to tie up a whole wall, but it is inspirational.

I just emailed them about fabbing something up to my specs, but my guess is that the price would be astronomical.

So, my current plan is roughly as follows, once I get the insulation, flooring and paneling done, let along started, hopefully soon.

I was thinking of a modified VW type setup, or an RB50 type setup, but made out of plywood. Basically, 48" by 72" when extended - I am 5'9" - sitting about 2 feet in from the rear doors. Three 24" sections. the middle one is fixed and it's 24" off the floor. Modular storage underneath, either drawers I can build or milk crates or a combination of both. The front one will fold down vertically and be held in place until I unclasp it, then it folds up and is supported by legs or something else I build that swings into place. Then, the rear one, which is folded up or at an angle, folds down flat, almost touching the rear doors. Voila! Flat platform. Two issues - getting the top one to stay at an angle, but this is pretty easy to do with wood. And 2, whether to cover with cushions attached or use a futon that folds up and sits on top of it. The cushions attached is cleaner, but I'm not sure how I'd do that. I suppose I'd shop for cushions and find find a way to affix them. I can deal with fairly thin.

Of course, I could see if SMB would just sell me a unit, too....

Any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #34

On second thought, I can just have a 48" flat platform going to the rear doors, with a hinged section that comes up IF I need it, which might be rarely - OR to get stuff from the storage.

Then, the only moving part is the front section which would fold up for sleeping purposes and fold down while driving to cover the storage space. Very simple, and I could leave a futon folded in half on top of it, maybe strapped down while driving.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
Site Team

Are you sure about the 24" height on the sofa. I'm aiming for nothing higher than 14 1/2".
More than that and I'm too close to the metal edge along the roof line that was installed with the Penthouse Top.
Self-portrait:

Tidy Cat bucket is the perfect height.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #36

I actually just walked the 10 blocks to where I park my truck. It's snowing.

I went to measure some things. 24" would work, but it might be a bit tomb-like to lie there like that. I could go lower. The 72 x48 works, although I would hope that I could - after insulation and paneling - lie length-wise in the back and not have to put up the other panel. Still, I want it as an option. Maybe 20" high. I really want that storage space underneath. Was just fantasizing about a penthouse top, but I really cannot do it at the moment. I'll probably do somewhere between 18 and 21".

On another note, I still have the factory plastic/rubber/jute floor mat down, in great condition. Do you think it would be awful if I left that as my initial floor layer, then put the foamcore and plywood on top of that? I was thinking of doing the floor with a lip of wood around the bottom affixed to the walls - semi-floating - but attached by the sides. It struck me that the factory mat might make a perfectly fine first layer. Any reason not to?

It's going to be tight in there. I really need to think minimal.

At the same time, I want it to be homey and plan on mahogany plywood for the walls if I can get it for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I'll get some nice birch plywood and stain it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #37

Of course, on third though - if that's a term - on looking at that fold-out bed again: it might tie up a wall, but it opens up a floor. I could still store stuff there, but have access to the back of the truck without a platform.

Hmmm...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #38
Site Team

Here's the plan for my sofa. 42"W x 74"L.

More accurate to say that it's the plan at this moment. I keep changing it.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #39

If you're using wood anyway, upholstering can be done with material over the foam- just wrap around wood and staple the heck out of it on the back.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
On another note, I still have the factory plastic/rubber/jute floor mat down, in great condition. Do you think it would be awful if I left that as my initial floor layer, then put the foamcore and plywood on top of that? I was thinking of doing the floor with a lip of wood around the bottom affixed to the walls - semi-floating - but attached by the sides. It struck me that the factory mat might make a perfectly fine first layer. Any reason not to?
Not that I can think of. Similar to my first layer which is rubber matting.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG