Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #101

Garage
Got some more stuff on the way this week and am excited to get them in. Ordered a new set of 4" leaf springs for the rear so I can get rid of those stock springs/blocks as well as a set of the fox shocks to replace the rear ones. Hopefully this will soften up the ride for my wife and son when they ride in the back because as of now I am worried about concussions with the empty van.

I also ordered more of the sound deadening/insulation from Cascade audio in bend. Its getting way to hot here to not have some sort of insulation in this thing keeping some of the heat out and I am tired of my ears ringing from the wind tunnel sound when we drive around town.

I also decided to get the ball joints that need to be replaced, replaced. I was going to swap out the front asap but since I am waiting to see what MG comes up with I need some more time and I have to tow a trailer every now and then. Figured it wouldn't be very responsible of me to tow a trailer with a sketchy front end so its getting done.

Another issue that popped up is the AC. It does great and will freeze us out when we are driving but as soon as we stop or sit for an extended period of time it just blows barely cold air. Having a 7 month old son means this is getting fixed asap. I am just surprised there is issues when this van is only 8 years old... well actually now that I type that it probably does need a look at anyway. 2008 doesn't seem that far away!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #102

Garage
Got the Cascade Audio Sound Deadening/ Insulation. One of the great parts about being in Portland when they are out of Bend is that I order and get everything next day by 1030am.

Blank canvas-

VMax Applied - I only placed one strip per space between the cross braces unless two would fit to help save on materials. I didnt think i would see much of a difference filling the whole panel up anyway. I also want to mention that I think the VB-1X they sell works just as well if you have a spray gun and want to wait for it to cure.

Insulation (I-12) applied with the Hvac tape around the perimeter in the front...

And then along the rest of the ceiling...

Now I just need to figure out how to cover up the ceiling as I work on the rest of the interior. I guess everyone has been using the 1/4" birch? If anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

Now I just need to figure out how to cover up the ceiling as I work on the rest of the interior. I guess everyone has been using the 1/4" birch? If anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way.

Thanks!
1/8" birch.....lighter, bends way easier....more-or-less what SMB uses for the headliners in the penthouse tops.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #104

How about a take-out OEM ceiling panel? Might be harder to find tan but it's decently insulated on its own.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #105

Take a look at these:

Introducing BeauClip | FastCap Blog

Might just work !

Steve W
Southern California
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #106

Garage
Boywonder - awesome, that's more than likely what I'm gonna go get and try out.

CarringB - that's actually what I had in there before and if it had the air vents I probably would have kept it but I didn't like how it had all the gaps and holes along the sides I won't be using. It also drops down about an inch for the air to flow through but without vents losing that headspace seems kind of silly. On top of that it was dirty and smelled kinda funny ha ha, but I did try to find a tan one with vents and didn't have much luck.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #107

Garage
SteveW - those clips look sweet but it also means the roof would hang at least 1/2" down more than it needs to if I just used sheet metal screws or rivnuts. I do like the idea though, Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #108

Garage
Just picked up the van from getting all 4 front ball joints replaced. It costed me 500$ but it was money well spent. This front end went from something scary to me now wanting to drive it down the country back roads for fun. Thanks to all the guys that have said if I just put some money into this front end it would be fine, it was very true. I'm seriously amazed at the difference. I used to get scared to brake hard because the wheels would shutter and do a weird swerve and then just driving down the road would give my right arm one hell of a workout. Now it's all butter.

Rear fox shocks from Ujoint just showed up... Time to see how much better the rear end feels with just those on.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #109

Awesome!!!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #110

Garage
Ya it is, I'm seriously blown away at the results and how much of a difference ball joints can make to a front end. These brakes don't even feel bad now compared to before when I felt like they weren't gonna cut it.

I still want to do MGs conversion once it's ready to go (Dana 60, bigger brakes) but now I'm not in any hurry which is a good feeling since it's about to be summer time and I wanna go on adventures.