Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Van Build - 2020 Transit Ecoboost 148 MR 'Pam'

I recently joined this forum and have learned great things. I had my sights on a 2005 SMB E350 and that didn't work out so I switched gears to a 2020 Transit Ecoboost, empty cargo van. Non-LSD 3.73 gears and I figured I'd start a build thread. We named our van Pam, since it kind of rhymes with Pandemic....Pamdemic. It's our get outside and 'work from home' van.

It's going to take a while and I'm not sure how much will be done professionally versus myself learning new skills/trial and error.

Today I spoke with John at Quadvan and I'm in the process of getting on his conversion list. It sounds like sometime in January I'll be able to deliver the van to Portland.

For the 4x4 Conversion:

Quadvan 4x4, TruTrac front LSD
Bilstein B6 front Shocks
ARB Rear air locker/mid-sized ARB compressor (ordered these online today)
Alumines Front bumper/lights - The bumper will depend on whether their 2020 version is out in time.
Aluminess Rear Tire carrier and Box carrier

After the build out I'll work on the rear suspension upgrade.

Today I purchased some 245/75-16 BFG KO2s and Black Rhino Havasu wheels: https://www.americastire.com/buy-whe...k-rhino-havasu

I didn't intend on getting 4x4 so soon, I thought the wait would be much longer and I was going to spend the cash I have on the inside and wait for 4x4. But the places we want to go could really use 4x4 and good tires so I'm glad we're getting that relatively quick. I'll probably do some dynamat to ease some noise and maybe a floor pretty soon.

Attached is a photo of my wife and me on our first 2 hour drive to see family for a few days. Note, she's driving so I can work!

I'll post a couple pics when I get the wheels and tires on next week.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7364.jpg  

Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

Garage
Hey, congratulations! You won’t be sorry you did the 4x4 first. It was the first big mod I did to my van and I got to go places I wouldn’t have been able to go. Plus... it’s just cool

Btw, re using the cash you were gonna use on the interior... take the time till January to figure out what you might want and it’ll give you a chance to see what you might want to try yourself. Lots of builds on here to check out. It ain’t rocket science and doesn’t have to cost a million bucks.

Good for you for going for it with the new van. It’s a great adventure, building it out. I couldn’t speak more highly of the process. Best fun I’ve had in a long time. Enjoy and keep us updated!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

Thanks! It's quite the exciting experience. The hardest part right now is keeping the $ I have saved for the 4x4 without buying a lot of other cool things. We are too used to heading Offroad with our 4runner so I think we'd be stuck too frequently on our adventures without 4x4. Plus it's just cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hey, congratulations! You won’t be sorry you did the 4x4 first. It was the first big mod I did to my van and I got to go places I wouldn’t have been able to go. Plus... it’s just cool

Btw, re using the cash you were gonna use on the interior... take the time till January to figure out what you might want and it’ll give you a chance to see what you might want to try yourself. Lots of builds on here to check out. It ain’t rocket science and doesn’t have to cost a million bucks.

Good for you for going for it with the new van. It’s a great adventure, building it out. I couldn’t speak more highly of the process. Best fun I’ve had in a long time. Enjoy and keep us updated!
Old 08-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #4

Congrats! And I agree with a Otter. You have a lot of space so go slow when figuring out how to fill it. Heck some cots or sleeping pads and bags will work to start but understand wanting to get a floor down to cut back on the noise.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Congrats! And I agree with Otter. You have a lot of space so go slow when figuring out how to fill it. Heck some cots or sleeping pads and bags will work to start but understand wanting to get a floor down to cut back on the noise.
I agree with you both. We already have a mega pad air mattress, nice cooler, plenty of camping gear, a portable power supply that charges my laptop for a couple days we’ll just head out and have some fun. I’d much rather have a 4x4 than full interior. I can’t wait for that.

- Ryan
Old 08-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #6

The time you will spend planning, the $’s you will spend executing - all great fun! Enjoy the process!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Congrats!

We are actually going to the dealer in 30 minutes for our second test drive of a Ecoboost AWD HR Transit. We just need to nail down all the features we want before we put in our order. It looks like its a pretty sure thing, I am not sure how much I will miss our 4x4 on our E350, time will tell.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #8

Slick wheels Ryan, I mean that both ways. I'm glad some aftermarket wheel manufacturers are starting to support the Transit. For a long time there was one available wheel, period. It's the on on my old Transit to the left which you really can't see in the pic but they are not as fresh as the Havasu's.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:31 AM   #9

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Congrats!

We are actually going to the dealer in 30 minutes for our second test drive of a Ecoboost AWD HR Transit. We just need to nail down all the features we want before we put in our order. It looks like its a pretty sure thing, I am not sure how much I will miss our 4x4 on our E350, time will tell.
Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully you got the arm rest for the passenger and dual battery, and LSD in the rear. Those are really the only things that I wish I had but I wasn't doing well with patience and found a van 30 miles away that ticket most of the boxes.

It will be interesting to see how much you miss your 4x4. Because I had a 170" extra long and tall sprinter and still did a few dirt roads with it but I really want 4x4 now because my wife and I are used to the trips we take in our 4Runner.

Congrats again.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Slick wheels Ryan, I mean that both ways. I'm glad some aftermarket wheel manufacturers are starting to support the Transit. For a long time there was one available wheel, period. It's the on on my old Transit to the left which you really can't see in the pic but they are not as fresh as the Havasu's.

Thanks Scotty, I really wanted some Method Race Wheels like I just put on my truck but they only had 17's and I figure I'll be airing down a lot so I wanted the extra room in the sidewall. I really like the bronze wheels and would be totally set on the Havasu's if they were. Oh well, black on a white van, I'll just be a storm trooper. I do like the wheels and I can't wait to get them installed.

Tags
build thread, diy, ecoboost, quadvan, transit