Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Thanks! Not very clear in the video but looks like you fabbed gutter mounted brackets with a connected strut that reaches back under the pop top and also attaches to the stock roof / stiffener further inboard for strength.

Has to be more than just the gutter.

The OVS awning brackets are the ones that run up under the top. The other brackets are barn door rail support brackets from tractor supply that are butterflied not through the side of the van.

so all of those brackets are off the shelf parts

Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #292

Yolanda my TURBINE PRINCESS E350 7.3 powerstroke build to 4x4 pop-top

I’m hesitant to post this because we’re still in the middle of dealing with insurance but we had a major devastation on July 2. The hundred plus year old, silver maple tree in my front yard fell directly on the van.

The pop-up reinforcement that was designed into it, as actually would stop the damage from going any further

We took 2 1/2 days to get her cut out from under the tree and started to the initial repairs. I’m going to reinforce everything the doors, the passenger fender, the hood, the core support, the passenger turn signal and part of the grill plastics we’re all damaged

The top of the roof was touching the steering wheel, but the pop top framework is still perfectly straight and I even ordered some new solar panels even though the ones that are on the van still are working and I have no idea how. Renogy
apparently makes a really tough panel.!!

Currently working on purchasing new her front end so I’m gonna upgrade her to the 2014 and newer headlights grill hood give myself room for an intercooler and possibly a hidden winch

I’m surprised State Farm did not total it as of right now, they’ve sent me an initial payment that is more than double the Kelley blue book on a van with that miles that stock

So far the hardest part about it has been the night it fell sitting in the garage, listening to them drop 14 inch thick tree limbs that were small trees themselves onto the top of the van, knowing there was nothing I could do to stop the damage, I was very fortunate that I did not have an electrical fire

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7207.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	47774

Name:	IMG_7329.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	47772

Name:	IMG_7453.jpg
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	47773

Name:	IMG_7227.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	47775

Name:	IMG_7215.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	47776

Name:	IMG_7261.jpg
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	47777
Old 07-17-2023, 01:53 PM   #293

Garage
Sad to see the damage after all the effort you’ve put into that van. Convertible candidate??? Or a set of T-tops (I always enjoyed those most!)
Old 07-17-2023, 01:55 PM   #294

Oh my God man, so sorry to see this. Really feel for you, hope State Farm works out the rest with you..
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #295

Oh man... that's tough to see. I recently watched a video about a couple who were in an crash with their van and how it and the DIY conversion held up. Definitely gives me something to think about as I plan my conversion.

At least no damage to your house?
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #296

OMG - heart wrenching. My wife and I have tried to imagine the loss we would feel if something like that happened to Beastie.

Sending lots of positive energy your and Yolanda's way.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #297

Aww "schlitz !" Very sorry to see this - I'd be rolled up in a ball with my thumb in my mouth ! Good luck with insurance and rebuild !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:30 AM   #298

Oof
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #299

Yolanda my TURBINE PRINCESS E350 7.3 powerstroke build to 4x4 pop-top

Thanks everybody!!

It was definitely heartbreaking and we were not sure what was going to happen. All of us got very emotional. For the last six years, the kids and I have made it a project.. With hundreds of nights camping and tens of thousands of miles worth of adventures it’s become such a member of the family that we knew once we got a good look at it that we were going to be rebuilding it!

I’ve already started sourcing Parts to do a 2014 and newer front end, hood fenders and upgrade to the telescope and mirrors when I get new doors. And surprisingly enough, a winch bumper with headlight protection is cheaper than buying all of the components to put the factory bumper for the newer body style. So we’re gonna call that a win!

A lot of people have asked me about doing a sunroof or a T top conversion and I have concerns with since it’s been deformed once adding any structural weaknesses so when we get to the point where the roof is back in line, I’m looking at building a quarter inch thick aluminum roof rack that will be Bolted and sicca flex to the existing roof as an additional rigidity support and some place to add a small roof basket

We’re thinking about since we are changing the front end and we had the same large 9 inch spotlights on my F150 that looked goofy when we upgraded to the LED projectors and the new spotlights on the truck match the aesthetics much better ( see images below) so in addition to a winch bumper we may be taking all four of the spotlights and putting them on a folding bracket on the roof..

As of right now, State Farm is playing along. The house didn’t suffer too much damage for those. Siding had mostly just scratches but the house needed repainted this year. Anyway, we have developed a couple of roof leak thou….

Name:	IMG_4866.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	47781

Name:	IMG_7208.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	47782
Old 07-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #300

Oh man, devastating. I'm glad to hear that you guys are keeping a positive attitude! Sometimes these set backs are an opportunity to do things better the next time. Not that anyone wants that! I can't wait to see what you do with V2.0
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote