Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 08:31 AM   #1

2002 SMB with High Top in MD $4600 (on Facebook)

NOT MINE and no affiliation with seller!!

2002 SMB with high top (Voyager? Not sure) with gutted interior and a bit rough, but priced at only $4600, which I guess is cheaper than just buying the top on its own...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5409723596414/

From listing:
2002 Ford E250 SportsMobile conversion van. Purchased in Florida just shy of 2 years ago with the intentions to build out and travel in. I don’t have the time and location to keep working on it. My loss your gain if you know the SportsMobile name you know the legacy in quality they have. I’ve gutted interior, prepped and installed subfloor/ floor. Installed oem front carpet. Installed new MaxxAir vent fan Prepped and treated body rust. Treated and coated undercarriage for rust. It has New tires/ rotors/ brakes/ AC system/ 12V Batt/ Alternator/ Starter/relay/ Wiring harness/ original electric driver side door was damaged passed repair, it has a manual door installed temp that is fully operational. The van spent must of it’s life in south Florida. I do have the the original sportsmobile owners manual and maintenance records.
Attached Thumbnails
424556639_8083278498365393_8339547376938900026_n.jpg   424568747_8083278355032074_5321471910130290949_n.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:02 AM   #2

Looks like the last owner just ran out of money. He was doing a low-budget rebuild and unfortunately trashed the original interior.

At 197K miles and what is probably a V8 5.4L he is probably leary of engine trans issues on top of completing the build.

Nice rear addition on the sunken floor. I wonder if he has planned on putting batteries down there?

I have a similar bus although not quite so high. It has a V10 6.8L with 290K miles but seems very solid. Who knows how long it will last? (picture below) . Bought 2 years ago for $5100 with a wheel chair lift which I'm retaining.

After putting in black and gray tanks in the spare tire area, I'm going to hand two 150 amp-hr AGMs in the locations.

With a rear driverside bathroom and passenger-side water heaters covering those locations, I'm limited to (customized/extended) frame-mounted battery boxes accessible from below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4573.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Nice rear addition on the sunken floor. I wonder if he has planned on putting batteries down there?

The "sunken" battery boxes behind the rear wheels on an EB van were likely a SMB factory install. I've seen them on other SMB vans. Not sure if it was an option or just standard build. I've actually thought of adding them to my EB van because it frees up a lot of space. But figure it would be too much hassle (plus, I have three batteries now...).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The "sunken" battery boxes behind the rear wheels on an EB van were likely a SMB factory install. I've seen them on other SMB vans. Not sure if it was an option or just standard build. I've actually thought of adding them to my EB van because it frees up a lot of space. But figure it would be too much hassle (plus, I have three batteries now...).
They are a huge hassle IMO, especially if the floor plan is not wide open back there, and few are. Personally I think the storage boxes (or wells) could be good for lots of other things but not batteries.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote