Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #11

Does the fluid seem healthy?

What does the coolant look like? Do you have a scan gauge or some other way to monitor actual engine temp?

The reduced performance might even be normal… the Powerstoke only made 215 HP new. Even turbosose power with altitude, just less (1% per 1,000 ft turbo van 3% per 1000 non turbo.). When you factor in normal loses from old age, then the altitude, it might only be outputting ~185 hp, which is the same as a Sprinter. So losing speed can be normal. The whooshing (if it’s the fan) is normal as well.

Also, you can lose even more power if your fuel filter is plugged. Any idea when that was swapped last?

Old 08-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #12

Interesting thought. There really was no vibration when it happened. Fluid looks and smells brand new, which is good. Bought the van used. So don't know how many original miles are on the tranny. The van has approx 180K on it. Would RPMs increase when perceived power loss occurs?
GVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #13

My thoughts, I‘m not an expert, just someone who rebuild a transmission first time recently with a learning curve :-D

Engine is engine. Generally operates independent from trans.
Torque converter converts the mechanical rotation of the engine (rpm you see in dash) into flow of oil through the turbines,…
—> TC clutch bad = yes engine rpm can go up while no power gets to the trans.

That‘s why I would measure the oil pressure. Fairly easy to access and while still installed.
Not sure if you can also measure it while driving…
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #14

The 4R100 will unlock the T/C below certain RPMs. It's actually more prominent on the PSD, as its programmed to keep the engine RPMs high enough to make enough power to not lose even more speed. But even my V10 does it. If I'm in 2nd gear, and drop below 30 MPH, the T/C unlocks until my speed comes back up. It's kinda Ford's workaround for the large steps in gear ratios. But this is why good cooling is so important, especially with the 7.3L.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #15

2 years ago mine did almost the same. Big swoosh but drove ok for a few more days...till it didn't. I put a new Trans in, it was just as much as a rebuilt. The shop was a friend of mine. He did not want any issues to come between us. He said today, it is a craps shoot. Some tranies last, some don't, this way all parts are new.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
2 years ago mine did almost the same. Big swoosh but drove ok for a few more days...till it didn't. I put a new Trans in, it was just as much as a rebuilt. The shop was a friend of mine. He did not want any issues to come between us. He said today, it is a craps shoot. Some tranies last, some don't, this way all parts are new.

Does your friend know why that happens/ what‘s broke?
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:06 PM   #17

No he said you replace one thing and another breaks. $3500 instead and fixed a bent fork in the Tcase.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #18

ATS is out here in Arvada-always did a good job with the 7.3 E4OD
Idi turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #19

I'd check with the customer postings. There are many good remarks but just as many bad ones on all those aftermarket companies like ATS, Monster ect...
This is why I choose to go with a new unit. If you go new you can have them beef it up. Everything is new!
Old 08-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #20

Thanks for all the responses. For now, it does not look like a transmission issue. Have an appointment to take it to a mechanic this week to see what they can find. Did pull the dog house off and noticed that the drivers side of the engine is pretty oily. The passengers side is fairly clean. Didn't pull off the heat shield over the turbo so really hard to see what's in the valley. It does look like there is a leak between the up pipe and what it goes in to on the passenger side. The reason I say this is that the dog house and the transmission fluid tube has some black residue on it. I have some pictures if I can get them uploaded.
GVan is offline   Reply With Quote