Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 02:36 PM   #61

Garage
Excellent, hope the leveling and test drive go swimmingly. Thank you very much for sharing.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #62

Out in the wild again!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	43223

Only point: overdrive started flashing after ~40miles. But I guess that’s just low oil, will check later.
When I did my first drive it was shifting rough and started blinking after a few 100 yards. Filling it up took care of rough shifting and postponed the flashing to 40miles. So perhaps 1/2 quart is missing or so.

And: droning noise still present, so now I can go back to the initial problem.

Thanks for all your input!
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #63
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Congratulations on a successful rebuild---think of the valuable knowledge you've accumulated--and shared here too---on this task.

If I had a shop and the time I'd love to rebuild an automatic transmission. I'm fortunate having a friend who does this for about $400 for most jobs, more depending if parts not "normally" required are needed.

He doesn't do modifications like the "J Mod" but does substitute better quality parts if a customer's budget permits.

At any rate glad this project is behind you and working well as you describe.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:02 PM   #64

Update :-(((

I couldn’t solve the OD issue… I tried everything and replace input/ output sensors, checked everything.

So I eventually went to a transmission shop.

I had different assumptions, main idea was that the bleed hole 1-2 on the pump was in the wrong place.

Bob (the shop owner) plugged in his code reader: gear 2 ratio
—> mechanical problem, NOT electrics

He said “most probably frictions not moving right” while I was pulling the pic of the pump for the bleed hole.

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	43310

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	43312

It should be on 12 oclock based on a lot of online comments and seeing the pic it isn’t.

He saw the pic and immediately interrupted me: “that’s the pump you installed? It’s the wrong one and will not work”

He said “doesn’t matter where the bleed hole is. Your problem is the pump piston. It’s an 4r70 pump and you got a 4r75… the piston doesn’t articulate as far and therefore your frictions are not in the right place.” …while he was already smilingly packing up…
I started asking more questions and he just put me off: “you got the wrong pump. That’s it!” :-)

BTW:
That’s my old one

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	43311

So looks like that even Monster Transmission confirmed it’s the right one and works, it doesn’t…

The Good:
I didn’t do ANYTHING wrong :-)))
Even saw the difference and asked for advice, while they confirmed.

The Bad:
~750$ to get the right pump incl install.
And I’ll do it as I need a working van in a few weeks :-)

The Unknown:
Will call Monster tomorrow and see what they say.

Keep you posted!
Old 03-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #65

Finally „closing“ this chapter.
Shop did some research and found I CAN use the pump. Problem was that the inner piston seal wasn‘t installed…

Due to jumping from 1st to 3rd I burned my 3rd gear clutch.
Didn‘t really do anything wrong and yes: I would do it again myself!

So he added the seal, new frictions on 3rd and here we go!

Van is back and my wife takes it testing tonight for a quick and dirty trip. Next weekend offroad park and test it more thoroughly before heading out on holiday!
Old 02-03-2023, 07:58 PM   #66

Congrats on completely this project, I'm blown away. I appreciate all the tips, info and parts of this journey you shared here. I just got a 2004 e250 with 120k miles and want to do the same thing before I 4x4 it. Likely following in your footsteps. Looking at the same kit from OPT, I just don't know what upgraded pieces I should include for longevity and possible hard use. I'm gonna attempt this myself in my garage, thank you for the inspiration, you legend.

How has it been holding up over this year?
Hephaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:02 AM   #67

Heyhey!
I upgraded the stock metal sheet foreard clutch drum to a solid metal one (I think it was Sonnax).

Also check the reverse drum for wear. Mine had some (not super serious) marks already, so well invested money moving forward.

You could think about a Sonnax valve body upgrade. But that‘s fairly easy to access in case something goes wrong.