Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I had a bit of a laugh watching the motorhome video. Impressive gains, all things considered.

I realize this is for the Triton 6.8L V10, but it's essentially a 5.4L V8 with two extra cylinders... right?

Can anyone speak to how well this works on a 1997 5.4L? Not looking to make a race car, but if my mileage is going to be 13 @ 60 mph and 10.5 @ 80 mph, I might look into having a little more "oomph" under the skinny pedal.
It works VERY well on a 5.4l. Really wakes it up. I have 5-star tuned a 2002 E350 (2v 5.4l) and a 2005? Expedition with the 3v 5.4l. Both were dramatically improved. No improvement in fuel mileage on either but huge improvement in grin factor. There is no better $500(ish) mod for a vehicle out there IMO.

If you are looking for better fuel mileage in a van I recommend buying a much smaller van. I've always gotten about the same mileage from v8 and v10 E350s.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Who else wishes the 3V 6.8 and 6 speed was available in an Econoline chassis? I feel the 4 speed 4R100 leaves way too much to be desired even with the 5 Star Tune. Stock...not even driveable in my opinion.

Scott
No thanks Sir----maybe the 4R100 but you can keep those danged 3V Modular Motors. I've not yet seen or experienced any benefit to them in an E-Series---add in the nonsense about plugs and that's a bigger no thanks from me.

I do love the 3V's have much better oiling with improved oil pump and the upgraded Melling offering but all that cam phaser trouble completely offsets that---to me anyway.

With a 5 Star tune and correct gearing & tires the 2V's perform more than adequately.

Completely IMHO ya understand....................
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
No thanks Sir----maybe the 4R100 but you can keep those danged 3V Modular Motors. I've not yet seen or experienced any benefit to them in an E-Series---add in the nonsense about plugs and that's a bigger no thanks from me.

I do love the 3V's have much better oiling with improved oil pump and the upgraded Melling offering but all that cam phaser trouble completely offsets that---to me anyway.

With a 5 Star tune and correct gearing & tires the 2V's perform more than adequately.

Completely IMHO ya understand....................
Of course! The 2V at 305hp is plenty...the trans schedule and gearing range leaves me wishing for more. I suppose I am also not using my van as most of you are as I am looking for off road performance where there really isn't enough power on tap no matter what. The converter locking usually is my biggest gripe offroad as my 4.56 rear end gearing isn't deep enough to let the engine get to an efficient operating range. Driven manually and left in the 3k rpm range it's a very different animal and performs much better and even has increased fuel economy. My last offroad trip was rather vigorous and we got in 90 miles of pretty rough terrain (most on the Barstow area offroad race course) in 3 hours and averaged 10 mpg (I can't do that on the street). With that being said the only thing I wished for was a Winters gate shifter to drift between second and third more efficiently. I will likely do this very soon to optimize the manual shift aspects of the trans.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote