Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #1

6.0 PSD Heater Hose Design Question

For a cargo van with no rear heat,
can anyone tell me why this hose is a loop with a metal section?

I'm rebuilding my coolant system, and I'm adding some things in, like future provisions for a hydronic heater, and a coolant filter, and the max ac valve.

However, for the life of me, I cant figure out why this hose is this way. For context, I took a blown up motor out of the van a year ago, and now I'm trying to get it back together.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cl...ater-7855823-1

And here is a link to the assembly diagram.
https://parts.ford.com/images/sectio...f020200501.svg

So the question is, can this be simplified? Why is there such a large loop? Why the metal section.

For those wondering, here is the parts page for the rear heat version.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/cl...tionId:4419872
Thanks all!

desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:35 AM   #2

I'd guess it's so engine vibration doesn't damage the heater Core. The metal section probably so it doesn't sag and rub on something. I think you could make your own all-hose loop, as long as it's supported with a zip tie or something, and protection against abrasion wherever it's touching another component. The gassers just get a straight hose here but they wouldn't have added this loop if they didn't see issues.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

I wonder if it because they wanted to use the hard line that comes off the front cover that this is looped the way it is. That hard line bolts to the alternator bracket, almost a tad too far back.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Well I have figured it out.
The hoses have to be pushed around the edge of the motor on the passenger side to clear the section of the belt that drives the alternator.

Therefore a loop like this is necessary. It is also necessary so that this loop, in the van's with rear heat, can plumb coolant back to the rear.