Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #11

Definitely talk to BettyFord on Jackson options but one option might be to flat bed it to Idaho Falls or Pocatello which is the AG belt. There will be diesel shops in those towns that have put their kids through college working on the 6.0. Or, flat bed it back home where you can have closer control over the repairs if that's the route you decide to go. That might cost $1000?

From the sounds of it you really just need a new long block and not the entire motor. I've heard mixed things on the Ford reman option. I went with a Jasper in a similar situation because it came with ARP headstuds and then reused all the top end stuff. Another option is Asheville. https://ashevilleengine.com/product/6-0-powerstroke/

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #12

I also had an injector failure in Jackson. Had it shipped home to Central Ca for about $1250 have since Buttetproofed the motor. I would rather not deal with outoftown repairs if they are major. Ended up changing the FICM and 4 Injectors. Still cheaper than paying for an unknown mechanic 2000 miles away incase anything else goes wrong. I Avoid STEALERSHIPS at all costs.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Garage
Ron is the definition of good people. He’s out of town right now but he still managed to help us out in a big way this weekend. Totally saved our asses and kept the fun train going here in Jackson during our annual trip.

I’m sure once he’s back home and checks his messages he can get you pointed in the right direction with your rig. Just make sure and send him a pm in case this thread is buried once he finally checks in here again.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #14

Like TwoXentrix I bought my U-Joint SMB for a steal from a frustrated owner that couldn't fix issues with it. I don't know that I would recommend you going this route. It depends a lot on how dedicated you are to your rig, how much you love it, and how well it fits your lifestyle. If you don't use it much, except maybe twice a year, then it might make sense to just get out of it now. If you love it though, then I agree with the advice to get it shipped back home to where you can have more control over who does the work and the repair costs.

I have the 6.0L that U-Joint bullet proofed. They did replace the injectors, but most bullet proofing does not include that. I'm not sure that bullet proofing ahead of time would have really helped you here. I don't know your plans for your rig. For me, my van is going to be a huge part of my retirement in a few years and still gets used a ton now. So for me and my situation, I would not hesitate to fix it and fix it right.
Kirk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Being in Jackson is both good and not so good. There are some great mechanics but getting in to see them might take MONTHS. I've spent a lot of time in and around Jackson. I've had a few mechanical issues with my rig and it was not easy to get a shop with a great rep to get me in. In the end it always worked out. The suggestion to trailer your van home might give you the time and space to think through your best decision. We all are with you! Best of luck with this.
wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #16

Just adding my review of Tip Top Transmission in Salt Lake City if you decide to go that route. I live in SLC and have an 05' E350 4x4 RB50 with a 6.0 that I had Tip Top do a bullet proof job on and I can highly recommend them for that work. Joey Candelaria is the owner of Tip Top and I thought he was very fair and conscientious. I felt the guys in the shop knew what they were doing. The job was done on time and on budget. I've owned my van for 10+ years and have had no problems with the 6.0 but decided to have the bullet proof work done last year as a preventative measure. If I ever did have any major engine issues, I certainly would consider Tip Top for repair work too. Good luck with whatever route you go on your repair.
FunHogUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #17

All, I am amazed at how helpful and responsive this forum is, and am thankful to all who have weighed in. I was called out on work travel unexpectedly last week and was unable to stay on top of this. But I figure I should give an update regarding where the issue is at, as well as to respond to some of the comments.

First, I want to say that I have absolutely loved the lifestyle afforded to me by my SMB over the two years I have owned it. I’m an avid skier and mountain biker and have used it year round to go on weekend warrior trips and one big multi-week trip each year. So my decision is not about whether I want a van/RV and the lifestyle. It’s a question about what is the most economical option for me to retain it. I had been thinking that other platforms (e.g. sprinter) might suit me better, but I had no plans to move to a new platform in the near future.

My SMB is still at the original mechanic in Etna, Wy. It has not yet been determined whether the engine needs replacement or not. For the time being, I have two quotes under the assumption that it only needs replacement injectors. The first is to replace 8 injectors only ($4.4k). The second is to replace the 8 injectors and to perform some of the “bullet proofing” tasks that at least partially leverage the labor to replace the injectors ($9k). For the bullet proofing option, the shop recommendation is to NOT do the head gaskets and head studs as it would be much more labor intensive (costly). The main problem that could negate the quotes is that according to the mechanic they cannot perform a compression test to see if the engine is blown until the one catastrophically failed injector is replaced. So it’s now up to me to decide to dive in and start paying for that labor with this shop.

Following the advice of the forum, I reached out to Ron (bettyford) via PM to ask for mechanic recommendations and towing/shipping options and am waiting to hear back.

The mechanic where it is at is very far from me and a very unknown quantity to me, so that makes me uncomfortable. At the same time, there are no mechanics near me in Santa Fe, NM who I trust with this job either. When I had initially suffered the break down, I had actually called Tip Top Transmission in Salt Lake City since it was listed as a preferred installer of Bullet Proof Diesel. I was very impressed by the person I spoke to, and the level of familiarity that he seemed to have with Sportsmobiles, so I wanted to get it there. But when I called AAA, they quoted me a cost between $2k and $2.5k, so I passed. I was very surprised by that figure, and at the time without knowing what was wrong but suspecting an injector, I thought there was a chance I could get it fixed for about that amount.

So that’s where I’m at…decisions decisions, no clarity, and I might actually have to get a hotel this weekend for a ski trip! I thought I was totally over that!
CrazyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #18

Just thinking that I would get it to Tip Top as they sound like they know their stuff. AAA is quoting you a tow truck ride to SLC which would be high. I would think you (or Ron) could find some sort of flat bed trucker to take it there for less. Check with online shipping brokers but remember, they are just brokers and don't have much to say about the quality of service you would get. Maybe someone else can chime in on a transporter that can help you. Get it to somebody who knows what they are doing with the SMB and the 6L.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #19

I would assume most flat bed transport companies would require the vehicle to be drivable. Otherwise you’d need a flatbed with a winch, most likely a tow company.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #20

Blown 6.0L Diagnosis - Failed injector and piston damage

Well, I just got confirmation from the mechanic that the engine will need to be replaced. They believe the the tip of the injector #8 was blown off and impacted the piston causing severe damage.

I've attached the photos that were sent to me showing borescope images of the piston as well as the damaged injector.

I am still waiting on a quote for the replacement engine and any other work that might need to be done, but I'm also exploring options to get it shipped to Tip Top Transmission in Salt Lake.

I am still considering my options as I see them. With this pandemic and the associated financial situations of both me and my parents who may need some financial help from me to close on a new house in a month, I have not ruled out selling the vehicle as is. But I am still leaning on repairing.

As always, I am happy to listen to any advice or thoughts that anyone might have. I will also continue to update as my decisions evolve.
Attached Thumbnails
BK850034.JPG   BK850033.JPG   BK850032.JPG   BK850031.JPG   20200313_153941.jpg  

20200313_153948.jpg  
CrazyG is offline   Reply With Quote