Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #11

Re: Broken Axle

A semi-float can be upgraded to a full-float by having spindles machined to the ID of the axle tube and pressed in (may have to trim the tubes to the proper length to account for track-width changes). A couple companies sell the spindle blanks. Then you need to obtain hubs/rotors, and drive-shafts.

In the end it may be more economical to get a full-floater from a wrecker.

-e

Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #12

Your Van was a Semi-Float rear. Ford used both the semi float and full floating axle the SRW models. They are both in the Sterling 10.5 family and have the same axle size (slightly larger than a Dana 60) The Dana 70 was under the DRW Cab Chassis. I would just look for one at the Wreckers. The 10.5 axles are as thick as the Dana 70 and with the dual bearings supporting the weight not the axle it has a much higher Load rating. the Dana 135 used in the F450/550 was rated at 16.5k!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #13

RiverGypsie,

I am curious how many miles do you have on you SMB. I have the same axle and would like to have an idea of when I might want to pull and axle and check for wear.

Cheers
John
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
Your Van was a Semi-Float rear. Ford used both the semi float and full floating axle the SRW models. They are both in the Sterling 10.5 family and have the same axle size (slightly larger than a Dana 60) The Dana 70 was under the DRW Cab Chassis. I would just look for one at the Wreckers. The 10.5 axles are as thick as the Dana 70 and with the dual bearings supporting the weight not the axle it has a much higher Load rating. the Dana 135 used in the F450/550 was rated at 16.5k!
Vans as all DANA. Sterling is pickup only. Ring gear is normally 9.75" but for vans with a D70 housing, the upgrade to 10.5" is easy (requires a new carrier, which is required anyways when doing dramatic ratio changes.

The E450 has a version of the Dana80 called the "Modified Dana78u". It is wider than regular 80, but has a smaller ring gear than the regular 80 (some E450s in the past got the 80 with the larger ring gear).
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
RiverGypsie,

I am curious how many miles do you have on you SMB. I have the same axle and would like to have an idea of when I might want to pull and axle and check for wear.

Cheers
John
You likely would not see any visible wear. That kind of failure is caused by fatigue from overloading. The semi-float is only good for 6400 pounds.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #16

IMO, the axles under the SMB are just not HD enough. For as much as they weigh, they need the dual bearing Dana 70 as stated earlier, as a minimum, IMO. I think Dana 80's would be proper. The vans are heavy & when loaded for a trip & then off-roaded, thier weakness's show up after a while. Glad you are ok & did not lose control. Try some CroMo axle shafts this time. I think they are 20-30% stronger.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
RiverGypsie,

Cheers
John
It was right around 108,000. We carry a lot of weight and drive off road a lot, so ours might have gone quicker than others will. There did seem to be some signs of wear on the unbroken side where the axle hit the bearings. That's where the one broke on the other side. We replaced both.

Now we're at a dealership in Portland, where they're telling us that the #7 injector we replaced 3 weeks ago in California is bad again, still getting the P0281 code. This is turning into a bummer of a summer trip, with a monster price tag.

Anybody know of something that might cause a P0281 other than a bad #7 injector?
RiverGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

IAnybody know of something that might cause a P0281 other than a bad #7 injector?[/quote]

Bad wiring harness under the valve cover? Common issue with 7.3 PSD's.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta

Z
That's just about as bad as an injector, since you have to remove the mounts and drop the motor to get the valve cover off a 6.0 in an E-350.
RiverGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta

Z
That's just about as bad as an injector, since you have to remove the mounts and drop the motor to get the valve cover off a 6.0 in an E-350.
Missed that it was a 6.0. Haven't heard if that's an issue with them.
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote