Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Burned by Espar

Anybody have a clue when the thermostat opens on a stock 6.0 PSD? I had Zilstra's install a lower temp thermostat. Seems like I do have to run it longer than I really want to really give the engine a nice warming in weather below 20*. I have always wanted to route the so it does a bit of a better job. I don't know of any cons to this, unless Tom just found one Somebody (John&Dana???) did a write up on this somewhere on the site.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Burned by Espar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I fired up the Hydronic today and let it run until it turned itself off. Scangauge showed 155f EWT, 133f EOT. Engine started. No idea what that means but there you go.

Was it 25F out?

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta

Was it 25F out?
Hell no, who lives in that kind of climate?

60f.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #14

The point is, you can start a diesel fine with no glow plugs if it's warm. I've daily driven all summer without glowplugs (more aptly the relay) with not special action. Also most of the winter simply by using the plug in block heater, despite having a bad glow plug relay.

So if you run the espar for 2 hours you block is nice and toasty and it will start.

If you don't do anything and it's a nice warm summer day, it will start.

If you've been driving and the block/engine is warm it will start.

In all these cases the computer knows it's warm enough to not need the glowplugs.

So it sounds like running the espar for a short while tricks the computer into thinking everything is nice and warm, so the computer doesn't use the glowplugs and only cranks.

I wonder, what is the recommended time using the espar for preheat before starting?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Burned by Espar

Yep.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I do notice the glow plug icon remains on for a shorter period if I'm running the Espar. Does that icon even mean anything as far as how long the glow plugs are activated?
In cold weather (below 30 IMO) I usually run the Espar no shorter than 1 hour. But there have been times where I didn't have time and shut it down within 30 minutes. Maybe it's a very small window that would cause this... perhaps 10 minutes one way or the other and it would have started normal. Now are you guys saying that a double glow plug activation also would not have done anything?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Now are you guys saying that a double glow plug activation also would not have done anything?
I'm suggesting that double activation would have done nothing be cause the glow plugs didn't fire the first (nor second) time because the temp was reading too hot. Just like if your relay is out (the only part of this discussion I have actual experience with FWIW) double cycling the glow plugs does nothing.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Sorry to beat this to death but I just don't see how the Espar is the complete culprit here but I'm engine stupid. I would think there is a second part to this and not just the weather. I should have had the same thing happen one time or another unless like I said there is one very narrow window to keep the plugs from working. Now if we were talking temps below 15*, those I have not been in enough to have any data on. I'd just like to narrow it down. At least I know to try it again if it don't start. I'll let the gear heads take it from here.