Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Looks like the Holidays will be good for you this year Robert - replied to your PM. Congrats, it’s a nice cooler!
Thanks TwoXentrix, Santa came early! I really appreciate it. I replied to your PM.

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #12

Garage
Just happy it's found a good home - I'll try get it sent off tomorrow (will PM you with the tracking number).
Old 01-03-2023, 03:37 AM   #13

Twoxentrix;

Why did you go w the second unit over the first?

Been searching for a upgraded cooler for my '06 5.4gasser transcooler. Have come across a few threads on the Tru-Cool 40k unit. But have always seen the Moshimotos and thought they were good units.

Perhaps share some thoughts on your upgraded cooler decisions.
bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamBaker View Post
Twoxentrix;
Why did you go w the second unit over the first?
Been searching for a upgraded cooler for my '06 5.4gasser transcooler.
I have the 6.0 diesel and have been focusing on managing my temps and the Trans cooler was the last of those projects; since the Van weights 11,800lbs it works harder in many situations.
The Mishimoto trans cooler is 3x the size of the OEM trans cooler I had, and quite frankly I really didn’t want to put something larger in front of my radiator.
I was attracted to the Derale Hypercool because it has a fan, allowing me to manually engage it when I needed it most. This helps tremendously when going slow since you get very little air going through the front grill. The Derale is mounted just behind the transmission and above the rear driveshaft. It’s set up so the trans fluid goes through it first, then continues it’s normal path to the radiator & OEM trans cooler.
The result has been better than expected. It’s set up with a thermostat and a dash over-ride. Have had to adjust the thermostat numerous times just to get trans temp up to the 170 degree mark. I’ve had it installed about 3 months now and haven’t seen the temp go higher than 180 on a long steep grade … also had the van on sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway that are slow and steep with same result. Oddly enough the unexpected benefit has been the coolant and oil temps are now about 5 degrees lower as well since it seems we’ve managed to eliminate heat prior to the fluid reaching the radiator.
I would imagine similar results would/could be realized in a gasser.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:26 AM   #15

Very interesting... if you happen to have a few pictures of it's mounted location I'm sure it would be well received by the Forum members to see what you've done.

How are you monitoring your trans temps? Individual dash gauge or w a scanner monitor?

One aspect of the Tru-cool 40k unit is that it's got a thermal by-pass. That concerns me as I can image the by-pass failing and then trans temps getting out of control.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #16

Twoxentrix; also curious on what t-stat you ended up running with... the fan option on the cooler is pretty nice; especially if you've done a auto/off/manual switch w a gauge.

My van is only 7,500lbs but I intended to flat tow a 3,000lb Suzuki Sidekick. I don't have 4x4, but am considering having that done in the next year. That'll increase my weight overall..

Maybe you could start a new thread to keep it simple... I know others are looking for the same information / project outcomes.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I have the 6.0 diesel and have been focusing on managing my temps and the Trans cooler was the last of those projects; since the Van weights 11,800lbs it works harder in many situations.
The Mishimoto trans cooler is 3x the size of the OEM trans cooler I had, and quite frankly I really didn’t want to put something larger in front of my radiator.
I was attracted to the Derale Hypercool because it has a fan, allowing me to manually engage it when I needed it most. This helps tremendously when going slow since you get very little air going through the front grill. The Derale is mounted just behind the transmission and above the rear driveshaft. It’s set up so the trans fluid goes through it first, then continues it’s normal path to the radiator & OEM trans cooler.
The result has been better than expected. It’s set up with a thermostat and a dash over-ride. Have had to adjust the thermostat numerous times just to get trans temp up to the 170 degree mark. I’ve had it installed about 3 months now and haven’t seen the temp go higher than 180 on a long steep grade … also had the van on sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway that are slow and steep with same result. Oddly enough the unexpected benefit has been the coolant and oil temps are now about 5 degrees lower as well since it seems we’ve managed to eliminate heat prior to the fluid reaching the radiator.
I would imagine similar results would/could be realized in a gasser.
That makes sense that coolant temp would be lower because the radiator isn't having to work as hard. On my 6.0 the ATF first goes to the radiator where the engine coolant lowers ATF temps and then it goes to the tranny air to oil cooler on the cold side of the radiator. I too was worried about the much larger 40K TruCool blocking the radiator but that's not how it turned out.

I think most of us with heavy rigs have observed high TFT's with the tiny OEM cooler in low air flow conditions. For me, anything off road at low speeds would quickly spike to 230F+! Now I rarely go over 200F and in most conditions the fluid barely gets hot enough to fully open the thermostat at 175F.

The idea behind initial cooling of the ATF in the radiator cooler is critical in these off-road conditions or while backing up when there is little airflow. Maybe that works with the trucks which have a much bigger cooler but is of little help on a 10,000lb van. An aftermarket tranny cooler is a game-changer!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #18

JoeH,

Sounds like you did the 40k Tru-cool w the thermal by-pass? Any issues / concerns w that by-pass? How long have you had your installed?
Old 01-03-2023, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamBaker View Post
JoeH,

Sounds like you did the 40k Tru-cool w the thermal by-pass? Any issues / concerns w that by-pass? How long have you had your installed?
I did add the 40k TruCool 7 years ago but without the thermal bypass as the 5R100 tranny has a thermostat. That is, there's a temperature valve in the pump so flow rate will vary as a function of temperature. And like you said above, it's just another potential failure point. I did have to replace the TruCool with another unit when the mounting area broke, crushing the fins. It wasn't leaking but I replaced it anyway for peace of mind.

I'm not sure which tranny you have but on the 5R100 in vans with a 6.0 psd the fittings are a PIA. The unit was actually partly intended with the 7.3 and 4R100 tranny (3/8" lines whereas the 5R110 is 0.5") in mind as I understand anyway. Anyhow, I was worried about a pressure drop going from 1/2" lines to 3/8" on the TruCool; thus restricting flow back to the tranny. I did a flow test and it was a non-issue.

So the TruCool is working out for me as a rather inexpensive upgrade but I'm curious about the Mishimoto unit and how well it works for folks. Both performance and fit.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote