Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Counterfeit MotorCraft Parts

For the gasoline engine people whose preference is Motorcraft COP's and spark plugs should watch this video---its very informative and helpful:

This was quite a timely find for me as I'd recently bought quite a few COP's and spark plug sets through Amazon and eBay. The sellers had great reputations and good reviews so I somewhat trusted I'd receive authentic Motorcraft parts. I cued the video up and held my breath.............

As I watched the video I had my parts still in the packages in hand and discovered I did indeed have real Motorcraft parts. I did somewhat over buy these parts as the price was almost too good to be true so I may never again need to buy more. If I do I'll quickly check their authenticity and if found to be fakes contact the seller and Amazon or eBay to alert them

Hope this helps someone now or in the near future.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this, very informative. I don't know why this type of stuff doesn't hurt Amazon more.

In my previous life I was on a group looking at what it took to make secure servers. You would be surprised the level of fake chips that could be used in building a system. Unfortunately, some of the devices were not just for the purpose of a cheap alternative, but other nefarious reasons such as providing back doors into the system.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #3
JWA

It would seem any part that's of high use or a common element in repair/maintenance of any sort are subject to counterfeit parts coming to market. The money must be worth the trouble otherwise we'd not have as much of this as exists these days.

Amazon seems to have little interest in living up to their own hype about customers being their first priority---much like Walmart their bottom line profits are job one. Sure Amazon will refund or replace items we complain about but it would be nice to know they do a better job vetting their sellers.

I do hope that video is helpful to others.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks for posting the video. Scary stuff, especially when it might come to safety.

My theory is that Amazon combines high volume with difficult returns. I admit to paying more for some big-ticket items so I can order them from places like Costco, Camping World, Home Depot, etc. that have brick and mortar stores I can return my items to.

I also admit to not returning some things I bought on Amazon simply because I didn’t have the time/energy. I’ve spent unwanted time on the phone arguing with Amazon over why they should accept my broken item. I feel sure Amazon capitalizes on the fact that lots of people give up and just throw the thing into a corner of the garage. Money in their pockets straight from mine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/558482/

Old 02-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

^Roger that

Even some brick and mortar spots practice the same... Ever been in the Ikea return department?
Old 02-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Garage
I don’t buy anything on amazon, too much of it is fake or knockoffs. My Nieghbor buys beach umbrella for $10 made in China sticks his brand on them and sells them for $100 on Amazon as a third party. Everyone thinks they are getting this great item when they could of went down to Walmart and buy the same for 10 bucks. I’ll spend a few more dollars and get it straight from the manufacturer so at least I know where it came from and they warranty it.
4x4Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Thanks for posting that JWA. I bought some spark plugs this summer to do a change, but didn’t quite get around to it. I started to hear about fakes and suspected that maybe the plugs I bought on EBay weren’t real. I emailed Ford about it and they confirmed that the plugs are not from an authorized seller and probably fakes. This video seems to confirm based on the packaging.

So, don’t buy from Carpartking_US on eBay. ALL FAKE!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-Motorc...M/283493568168

At least it was only a $20 lesson.
Attached Thumbnails
13B7DD0C-D924-4783-9402-1D620C0211FE.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #8

With a name like CarPartKing and on Ebay I would think fake from the start.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
JWA

I'm glad others are finding the video useful.

Re: Amazon Returns

I've never had any issues with returning an item but so far its been stuff I've ordered knowing/thinking I'd be assessing it (or them) against something similar and would gladly pay out of my own pocket for the return. So far I've not (yet) received anything that was even slightly suspect as being counterfeit, just items ordered to be compared with something similar.

Immediately coming to mind are 5.4 cam alignment tools; one was OTC brand and the other an obvious knock off brand called IJF---there was no attempt to portray them as anything other than similar but cheaper tools. As it turns out the less expensive were every bit as good as the OTC regard fit, finish and function-wise---it was honestly tough to tell the two brands apart. Apart from the color of the tools it was tough to see where the extra money went. Even down to the packaging it would easy to think both brands came from the same off-shore factory/supplier.

It cost me >$10 to return $128 worth of OTC parts while keeping the lesser known versions that cost all of $21. In that case financially it was well worth the time and minor expense so the return was initiated, refund processed and all ends well for that transaction. All in all it was a relatively painless process, not one bit of push back from Amazon or the seller.

(I did leave decent feedback for the seller and responded positively to an Amazon post-transaction survey----everyone involved was co-operative and I wanted that to be known.)

Long story short IF anything from Amazon is a fake or has a suspect authenticity by all means contact them and initiate a return/refund. It does nothing to keep something without challenging them, call them out for selling counterfeit items. If "we" protest via our wallets they might do a better job selling or having available authentic items. It might not be the easiest way to make a statement but it is helpful in the longer term.

That's my stint on the soapbox, over and out.