Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #11

SCT tune is likely to cause high EGTs on the E-series, because of the smaller inter cooler and lower volume intake. Definitely keep an eye on things when towing.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #12

Agreed, if I did plan on towing I would put it back to stock. I pulled a tandem flatbed trailer 700 miles empty (long story) a few weeks ago I monitored engine load and babied it.

I purchased the SCT EGT probe but haven’t had a chance to install yet. From what I have read drivers side at the elbow is the preferred location. At that location could anyone give some NORM, MED, HI recommended temperature thresholds?

I also plan on monitoring fuel pressure since I can bring two analog signals in on the FireWire cable. Fuel pressure is a bit of a rabbit hole, Because I’m not buying a separate gauge-sensor combo I was trying to find an OEM fuel pressure sensor rather than the cheap amazon ones. Finding the right thread and psi range has proven difficult. A BMW oil pressure sensor looks like it might work but I’m not 100% sure on the o-ring etc. Holley sells some Honeywell expensive high accuracy sensors (also available on digikey) but they are supposedly sensitive to vibration and fail quickly if directly mounted on an engine. I’m interested in any suggestions on a OEM fuel pressure sensor.

Thanks!
waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

My fuel pressure sensor is on top of a billet fuel cap. I replaced the stock plastic one with alum as they are prone to break. Do the "blue spring" fuel regulator kit if you haven't already. It's one of those running Ford updates.

As for EGTs and a pyro mounted pre-turbo you'll find lots of opinions but generally:
800-900F cruising
1000-1100F accelerating and grades
1200-1400F WOT for short periods
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #14

My plan was to do the blue spring after I am able to monitor fuel pressure. Although the blue spring upgrade is pretty much universally recommended there are a few examples of people experiencing problems after the upgrade which I assume could have been avoided if fuel pressure was monitored.

I assume the cap is tapped 1/8” npt for a generic gauge ... I’ll have to consider that, it would be nice to avoid the use of an adapter.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
SCT tune is likely to cause high EGTs on the E-series, because of the smaller inter cooler and lower volume intake. Definitely keep an eye on things when towing.
Finally got my EGT installed a couple weeks ago and have been monitoring during normal driving and a short HWY towing trip (hauling midsize suv on a tandem car hauler) probably under 8000lb.

I have been using the SCT stock +65 hp tune for the past 4-5 years without EGT monitoring. After the warning above and my oil cooler failing I was a little concerned about my lack of research on this subject rather heading the advice of a mechanic friend which was based on F series.

Thankfully EGTs seem to agree with what have been posted here and elsewhere. EGTs at idle are 300F, cruise 600-700, dipping into power 700-800F. I was very cautious while towing, EGTs were 700-900 never cracked 1000F using when tow bottom on trans. I could easily see how temps could come up if using overdrive.

These are taken from the passenger side manifold, hopefully neither side runs leaner than the other. I chose to install the EGT on the top of the passenger side manifold this seemed to be the best compromise of location routing and installation access for me. To anyone doing this do not get greedy with the tap, I almost over tapped the NPT threads, which would allow the fitting to bottom without tightening.

Also back on topic for this thread after changing the oil cooler and HPOP fitting, I can’t see anyway that studs could be don in the van without significantly lowering the engine.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #16

Wow, those readings are considerably less than mine. My sensor is mounted in the up-pipe so pre-turbo but ~50F less than what you'd read at the head. I confirmed that with a heat gun.
Anyhow, with an 80-HP tune and a FICM tune cruising EGTs are 800-900F on flat ground and 1000-1100F on long grades. I'll hit 1200-1300F WOT but back off after more than 30 sec. I use the tow-haul switch a lot to keep the engine from lugging.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by waren View Post

Also back on topic for this thread after changing the oil cooler and HPOP fitting, I can’t see anyway that studs could be don in the van without significantly lowering the engine.
I have the engine picker tool for sale if you want to pull the motor out the front.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Wow, those readings are considerably less than mine. My sensor is mounted in the up-pipe so pre-turbo but ~50F less than what you'd read at the head. I confirmed that with a heat gun.
Anyhow, with an 80-HP tune and a FICM tune cruising EGTs are 800-900F on flat ground and 1000-1100F on long grades. I'll hit 1200-1300F WOT but back off after more than 30 sec. I use the tow-haul switch a lot to keep the engine from lugging.
I am probably quite a bit lighter and maybe also running smaller wheels 265/75/16 (3.55 gears) I did use tow haul to prevent lugging.

However with the same tune and tires weight etc I traversed the Coquihalla Highway several times without monitoring load or EGT so the tune must be pretty damn conservative even on the vans, not an endorsement more an admission of dumb luck.

I also wanted to put in the up pipe but didn’t want to weld in a bung.