Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Garage
Keep Ford Rear AC?

JoefrSF’s posting about a rear AC leak prompted me to wonder about my upcoming poptop install... Is there a good reason to keep the rear AC?

SMB West is charging $300 to reroute the air outflow to the rear column when the poptop goes in. It seems to me there will be minimal air flow from those vents now. Would I be better off getting rid of all the rear AC hardware components? I haven’t pulled off the trim yet but am thinking it might give me more build room for storage, etc?

Anybody currently have this setup? Thoughts?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Do passengers ever ride in the back? If yes, rear A/C is mandatory IMO.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Do passengers ever ride in the back? If yes, rear A/C is mandatory IMO.
Not currently. But, since my build is modular, it’s a possibility as I move my Siennas around. I could tell the roof AC vents really cooled off the mid-van area where my pup resides. Just not sure a couple of pillar vents in the far rear are going to do much. Hoping I’m wrong about that.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

I would keep it. If you ever have passengers, they will appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Otter - Keep the factory rear air. Do not remove it.

1. Storage - You gain nearly nothing.
2. Our vans are a cave and if you are ever in hot weather, running the rear air will cool your van down quickly vs trying to cool the cave down with the dash vents. The same goes for heating in cold, cold weather. Passengers or not.

We hunted for a Cargo with the factory rear HVAC option and were lucky to find it. We have had vans without the rear Factory air/heat will not ever do that again.

SMB charging $300 to reroute the air ducts is just a way of getting more money. (Begs the question as to why you are getting a SMB Pop Top vs CCV, but that is another thread). The RB vent duct is in the rear corner already.

Please, please keep the rear air.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Rear AC is a must. We have the SMB installed rear AC, not stock Ford. It's basically the Starcool but only works with the engine running. It cranks to the point our kids use blankets even when set on low. On the flip side it would be too hot back there w/out it.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
(Begs the question as to why you are getting a SMB Pop Top vs CCV, but that is another thread).
Ha! Fair enough! I actually prefer the interior size of the CCV but they want to keep the van for 3 weeks and I don't want/can't do that. It's my daily driver. I called CCV and begged them to do it faster but no go. Fresno is a few hours closer and will do it in one and a half days. If I ever have a problem, I'm more likely to be able to drive 11 hours south to Fresno and take advantage of that lifetime warranty than I am to go to Colorado. Mostly convenience and, I guess, a little bias toward the folks that have made tops longer. (I know, I know. I can hear you cringing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Please, please keep the rear air.
Well, heck. I guess SMB gets the $300.

Thanks everybody. I'm sold. My future passengers thank you.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #8

Garage
As an aside but related point...

Since you only get AC when the van is running, what do you poptop folks do for AC when it's not? Is the all the propaganda about it being so cool with the poptop airflow really true?

When we traveled in the Oregon High Desert recently, I kept thinking... crap, it's darn hot out here. Of course, I'm a weather-spoiled Portlander. Though I lived in Eastern Oregon for a few years, after living in PDX for thirty, my body now requires moisture-cooled but dry Pacific temperate air. I'm being only slightly facetious... I'm truly a hot-house flower now.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

When stopped and pop top up we just open the pop top windows and other screened windows to get the air flowing. A Maxx Fan can be helpful. We do not have one an have not missed it.

Really good insulation and window reflecting covers help a lot. I have used a set of window reflectors placed between the Eisen Glass and the screens can be positioned to still allow airflow while reflecting the sunlight heat. Just make sure the reflectors are on the outside of the clear windows!

Running a stand alone A/C while stationery is a generator or shore power based activity. 86Scotty used a bedroom style unit that he created a easy way of mounting in the front pop top window.

Other than that, it is misting, shade, be near water, or get the **** out there!
Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #10

Re: CCV - I can probably get the CCV top installed in a week plus travel time to/from. I did that for member ndubes. Set everything up ahead of schedule, Picked up his van in PHX, drove it to Loveland, made sure it got done right, then he flew in and picked up.

Being there allowed the little but important decisions to be made on the fly. My efforts added to the cost but it provided peace of mind and it was done very well, plus the transport of the van was accomplished.

If interested we can discuss offline, or give me a call.