Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #31

Re: MPG of diesel 4X4 van

A bit off topic, but somewhat related.

Field test reports are now coming in on Ford's new 6.7L PSD motor in the super duty trucks. Some of these tests have been pretty extensive with a lot of mileage involved.

What I've read thus far looks as if Ford has hit a grand slam in developing this engine in-house. Power output is amazing and MPG has been typically 16-20 under 'real world' driving conditions, with highway MPG reports as high as 24-26. Of course these motors are 50 state emissions compliant to stricter 2011 standards. All at the same price or a bit less than the PSD option in 2010.

Gotta say I'm rooting for Ford as the only US producer that did not take government life-support and as a PSD owner. If they can get this 6.7L into the E-350 vans in 2012 or 2013, and if it proves to be reliable (probably the biggest IF), it would be happy days for the SMB crowd.

R

Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #32

Amen Rob ,
I have heard that the this engine is slated for Van use at a much later date as well and from what a close friend has told me it makes some serious power to boot .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #33

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

I really hope Ford can shoehorn the new Scorpion diesel into the van and won't be like the outgoing 6.4 that wouldn't fit.

The new engine design of having the exhaust manifolds and turbo sitting on top of the motor (in the valley of the V8) represents a big challenge for vans as anyone who has tried to change the secondary fuel filter knows well. There just isn't much room in there on top of the engine.

I read a test drive article on the new engine and they raved about its power, how quiet it was, and the great mileage (over 20 mpg).
Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #34

Some additional info on the MPG of the 6.7L PSD.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29955

The same author wrote this about the motor's power.

Quote:
This engine is so strong that the TC will stay locked up all the way down to 900 RPM and Fuel cut will only disappear when you approach the 900 R level from what I was seeing. In addition, the 2011 Super will not buck or lug down to 900 RPM. It simply does not lug! I was towing a 10,000 pound load up a 4 to 6 percent grade at the 35 mph PSL in switchbacks and she was holding 1,200 RPM’s without a care in the world. The Silverado HD was having trouble and shifting around between 1,800 and 2,200. Same with the Dodge and its Cummins. The Dodge Cummins felt really crude, loud and handled very poorly when towing. The GM Duramax was simply struggling. When coming down the same grades, the Chevrolet was a handful. The Dodge was scary. The Ford was tap on the brakes and she would drop a gear and hold speed. No switches, no buttons and simply forget about what you were hauling and pay attention to the road ahead. Very impressive. And it idles at just 600 rpm too.

___I looked at the loads to verify there was no screwing around with distribution or weight and there was not. The 25,000 pound trailer drive up and down was similar although you could tell even the 6.7L Power Stroke was working hard with R’s up at 2.2 to 3K range while traveling at 20 mph over the PSL (55 mph). They would not allow us to drive with that load, only the Ford CDL driver and me alone in the passenger seat. The GM and Dodge products let alone the F250/350 were not rated for anything near that weight so they were not included in that maximum tow comparison.
Again, lets hope it proves reliable and can be fit into the E-350 vans.
R
Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #35

geeez. hope to get one sooner or later but this is what i found on the net for the next potential ford van.

Replacement

Ford intends to replace the E-Series by 2014 with a global version of the fourth generation Transit platform developed by Ford of Europe. The Transit has been the E-Series' equivalent in Europe since 1965 and competes with the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - whose badge engineered cousin the Dodge Sprinter is now one of the E-Series' key rivals in North America.

It is not known if the North American versions of the Transit will be equipped with turbodiesel power which makes up the vast majority of European sales. In order to introduce American buyers to Ford's Euro-vans, the company began importing the mechanically unrelated Transit Connect range for the 2010 model year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2007_ ... bo_Van.jpg
chainsaw5vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw5vent
Replacement

Ford intends to replace the E-Series by 2014 with a global version of the fourth generation Transit platform developed by Ford of Europe.
That is bad news for those who like the offoroad ability of the E350.

The Transit is similar to the sprinter, low on the road and no frame under the body.
On the Sprinter you can have it 4x4 but it costs a lot to have it ... to be a real offroader.

Might be the same way with the futur transit...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #37

Can't give any mileage numbers on my '97 PSD yet (gotta fix the Odometer first)

But I gotta say after reading thru the thread thus far...spending anymore time around/near a Semi on the hwy than absolutely necessary just puts you at a higher percentage of risk at getting mixed up in the XXXX when the XXXX hits the fan.
I wanna see what's in front of me. If it's the back door of a Semi...that means I can't see XXX.