Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Sourcing custom leafsprings is hard

I’ve wanted to replace the springs in my van since I bought it, but years later it’s getting critical. The rear leaf springs are completely shot and actually reversed arced. Part of the reason I’ve yet to change them has been due to the difficulty in sourcing new ones. I want to eliminate the 4inch blocks in the rear due to excessive axle wrap and get a more progressive spring rate to hopefully improve the ride some. I’ve had lots of folks tell me they can build a custom spring, but when it comes time to get them built, the process seems to end there.

After hopeful discussions with a couple well known Southern California van builders, they no longer return messages or emails. Next up was one of the country’s largest spring manufacturers, (Detroit spring) a company a hot rod builder friend recommended and has used several times. After initial emails with their “spring guru” (who actually turned out the be the owner) the replys stopped, so I called them direct and talked to their head designer who flat told me it wasn’t possible to do what I wanted, that is fabricate a spring that would have an additional 4 inches of arch over stock, and more but thinner leaves to provide a more compliant ride ( a more progressive rate). I asked if this was due more to the tooling they use, or design considerations, and he said it was mostly the tooling. I mentioned Dever does this all the time and he checked out their website as we were talking.

He then recommended I contact Alcan spring in Colorado. Before I did, I talked with Dever, who I have been avoiding due to long lead times and extreme expense. Jeff there told me he could do just what I wanted, it would be $1700, and 6 to 8 weeks lead time. Finally I called Alcan, and immediately was talking to the owner. We had a very productive conversation, and he understood exactly what I wanted and assured me he would be able to make it happen.

Here’s where it got even better, cost is $800 for an 8 leaf pack, shipping will be less due to being closer, and the lead time is only 3 weeks, hopefully soon enough to get them installed before I depart for Baja. So, I placed the order today and mentioned I was really hoping to put a rush on the order as I want to use a buddys shop, and he departs on a motorcycle trip at the end of the month. He thought it was possible, even quite likely. So, I hope I’m not getting ahead of my self here, since this hasn’t happened yet, but for the first time in a couple years I am fairly confident I finally found a vender that will actually make this happen. Stand by………………..
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote